1752469 Members
6473 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Insufficient Fluid pages

Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

Insufficient Fluid pages

On an OpenVMS 7-3-2 system, not very recently patched (copy of a production system) engineers get the message "%SYSTEM-F-INSFLPGS, insufficient Fluid Pages available" when trying to use $CRMPSC_GDZRO_64 to allocate memory in the P2 addess space.

The uses creating the sections does have the memory resident resource granted to it.

Other than physical memory what determines the number of fluid pages? Is this something we can adjust via sysgen? Just curious as the manuals don't seem overly clear on this.

cheers

Brian

5 REPLIES 5
H.Becker
Honored Contributor

>>>
Other than physical memory what determines the number of fluid pages?
<<<
The number of available physical pages: pages not permanently used by vms or users who locked their code or date into memory. That probably includes reserved pages for memory resident section.

Did you reserve the memory? You should. Did you run AUTOGEN after reserving the memory? You should. The registration reserves the memory for your named global section. AUTOGEN then checks whether vms has enough memory left to run the maximum processes etc., which you specified with sysgen parameters.

If you already reserved memory, it may either not be enough for an increased section size or the name changed and you will not get the reserved space.

And yes, buy more memory is almost always an option.
abrsvc
Respected Contributor

From the system services manual for V8.4 (I didn't see this setion in the V7.3-2 manual.)

If the global section is registered in the Reserved Memory Registry, the size of
the global section need not match the reserved size. If the global section is not
registered in the Reserved Memory Registry, or if the reserved size is smaller
than the size of the global section, the error status SS$_INSFLPGS is returned if
there are not enough fluid pages in the system to satisfy the request.

Hope this helps,
Dan
Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

And in those situations where the global section names aren't known, perhaps only defined at runtime?
H.Becker
Honored Contributor

>>>
And in those situations where the global section names aren't known, perhaps only defined at runtime?
<<<
When you register you have to specify the name. The names and sizes are read at system initialization. It's documented in the system manager manual.
I would try to reserve a memory for a section with an arbitrary name and run AUTOGEN. Then I would remove the section but use the adjusted system parameters. I expect that that would leave enough fluid pages around.
But I don't have a system available right now and can't test it.
Pramod Kumar M
Advisor

In your case INSFLPGS error may be indicating that, memory requirement
of your application is increased. Reserved memory is a mechanism to
reserve memory for global section to be created. Global sections allocated
from reserved memory first if no then from fluid pages. So in your case
either there is no reserved memory or reserved memory already allocated.
Now you are trying to create a global for which you don't any physical
memory left.

Try to recover memory by stopping processes which are not necessary.

To me your case look like needs a memory upgrade, because your application
has more demand for memory.

-Pramod.