1753602 Members
5672 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Integrity/OpenVMS v8.3-x Entry-Level Tape Library Options

Rick Dyson
Valued Contributor

Integrity/OpenVMS v8.3-x Entry-Level Tape Library Options

I am looking for a FC-attached library or autoloader that can support 2 drives, 4+ tapes in a magazine and work with native BACKUP on an Integrity rx3600 VMS v8.3-x cluster via Brocade SAN switches. Probably 4 Gb/s FC. I would have been happy with SDLT1 or 2, but that apparently lost out to LTO. Purchasing older, refurb is not very acceptable here.

Does anyone have such a config in use?

I am being pointed to a HP Autoloader 1/8 G2 w/ LTO-5 3000 but the OpenVMS Support matrix says the Autoloader is only supported direct-SCSI attached. BUT the OpenVMS SPD states no direct-SCSI attached libraries are supported (library vs autoloader? What is diff and does it matter here?).

Also, being pointed at a MSL2024 w/ LTO-5 3000 drives but I see that ABS does not support LTO-5. Do I care if I use native BACKUP? Or since ABS (I thought!) used BACKUP underneath, is this warning me that it is not available yet?

Thanks!
Rick
6 REPLIES 6
Shriniketan Bhagwat
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

>> ABS does not support LTO-5. Do I care if I use native BACKUP?

BACKUP supports LTO5 tape drives. You may need to use the latest fiber SCSI kit.

Regards,
Ketan
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

The take-up of LTO5 doesn't seem nearly as fast as previous generations, in my opinion. Perhaps we've finally reached speed/capacity saturation and don't need this next level of performance.

We run MSL4048 LTO4 quite happily (no hardware failures at all). We also use MSL6000's which I believe will take LTO4 drives as well.

As these units are a little older, you'll probably pick up a library relatively cheaply. Buy from a good supplier, and you shouldn't have any problems, and is a good foot in the door I'd be happy to recommend.

Rob.
Steve Reece_3
Trusted Contributor

I suspect that the issue you're going to face is more of a media management one than a "can I get my data onto a tape?"
Don't be tempted to save money by not buying the SAN switches (assuming you need to go out and buy them.) The libraries aren't supported in direct attached, they need a SAN switch in the middle.
Rick Dyson
Valued Contributor

The reason they are going LTO-5 is because it is a FC model drive (does that matter? isn't the library what I connect to the SAN fabric, just like I do with my MSL5026SL via an old MDR?) There were also issues that to get two drives in the MSL or Autoloader, the drives needed to be 1/2 height.

I will suggest the MSL6000 as a refurb option. Does it require the additional NSR or did it have FC native to it?

Thanks for your input!
rick
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

The MSL6026 is a 4 drive library, but you're correct that it can only take 2 x LTO4 from the research I did some time ago. I guess the 5026 can only take 2 normal drives, so requires half-height drives.

According to http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11863_div/11863_div.pdf :-

"What's New
HP StorageWorks MSL6000 Tape Libraries are now available with LTO-4 Ultrium 1840 hardware encrypting tape drives for
secure high performance backups meeting consortium specifications for LTO-4"
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Just been having a hunt, and Chestnut Micro in Texas seem to have what you're looking for :-

http://www.chestnutmicro.com/catalog/1341

A empty Ultrium MSL6030 chassis is ├В┬г2,500 for instance.

Rob.