Operating System - OpenVMS
1748180 Members
3981 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is VMS732_MUP-V0100 in VMS732_UPDATE-V0500?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Richard Helmke_2
Occasional Advisor

Is VMS732_MUP-V0100 in VMS732_UPDATE-V0500?

I noticed the announcement about VMS732_UPDATE-V0500 this morning and downloaded the ALPHA_V732_MASTER_ECO_LIST.txt file. It listed VMS732_MUP-V0100 under both "kits included in update kit" and "eco kits not included in update kit". I guess I wasn't the only one that had an exciting Halloween.

This is just a 'heads-up' to be careful.
8 REPLIES 8
Bill Hall
Honored Contributor
Solution

Rich,

Good catch. I downloaded the kits earlier this morning, but didn't catch the duplicate entries for the MUP. Out of curiosity, I extracted SET.EXE from the update kit and analyzed it. VMS732_UPDATE-V0500 does in fact have the same version of SET.EXE as is listed in the VMS732_MUP-V0100 release notes.

Bill
Bill Hall
Richard Helmke_2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for going that extra step and checking on SET.EXE. And the point is to double check everything -- we all have "those" days when a detail slips past us.

So -- VMS732_MUP-V0100 is in VMS732_UPDATE-V0500.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Richard,

Thanks for posting the warning, and checking the images.

If in doubt, just install both patches. PCSI will work it out.

FYI, I've attached a command procedure that parses release notes files and compares the link dates with that of the corresponding file on your system.

This is a VERY ROUGH check that a patch has been installed correctly.

P1 is the patch name, set P2 to "VERBOSE" to see the individual files. For example:

$ @CHECK_PATCH *UPDATE* VERBOSE

A crucible of informative mistakes
Guy Peleg
Respected Contributor

The MUP is included in the UPDATE kit,
the list has been corrected.

Guy Peleg
OpenVMS Engineering
Eberhard Wacker
Valued Contributor

Hi,
I've made the same checks yesterday.

Please note that there is still an additional error within the ALPHA_V732_MASTER_ECO_LIST.txt:

the update patch contains DCL V03 and not only V02 as described.

Cheers,
EW

Sebastian Bazley
Regular Advisor

Also, the format of the MASTER list has changed slightly - there is now no date in the title.

e.g. it used to say:

INSTALL_1

File Name: ALPHA_V732_MASTER_ECO_LIST

LIST OF CURRENT OPENVMS V7.3-2 OPERATING SYSTEM ECO KITS 29-SEP-2005

It now says:

INSTALL_1

>> LIST OF CURRENT OPENVMS V7.3-2 OPERATING SYSTEM ECO KITS <<

File Name: ALPHA_V732_MASTER_ECO_LIST
Release Date: 1-NOV-2005

I hope that "Release Date:" has the same function that the date at the end of the title used to have.
Robert_Boyd
Respected Contributor

I also noticed that the release notes for the UPDATE kit no longer list each full patch kit title that are included/superseded by the kit. The "master" name of each patch are listed followed by all the version numbers that are included. This is a change that affects a script that I wrote to build and update a dependency/supersession data tree. The new format is more condensed and readable. I'll be updating my script and perhaps posting it to the DCL site soon.

I use this script to sort patch kits into different directories depending on what version of VMS they are for and whether they have been superseded or not. That way I keep directories of the versions I'm dealing with that have all the current patch kits right where I need them.

Robert
Master you were right about 1 thing -- the negotiations were SHORT!
Richard Helmke_2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to everyone for adding each bit of knowledge about this recent UPDATE patch!

-Rich