Operating System - OpenVMS
1753396 Members
7033 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is there a version of EXECSYMB that is compatable with VMS 8.3

Joe Hurley

Is there a version of EXECSYMB that is compatable with VMS 8.3

I have installed EXECSYMB on asystem With OpenVMS 8.3 And when i start the QUEUE it stay in the starting state. The program is written in Fortran and I do not have fortran on my system to recompile the program and link it.
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Whence did you get your EXECSYMB? Does it
include object files (so a re-LINK could be
possible) or only the source and/or
executables?

As usual, a transcript of the commands you
tried would make it easier to reproduce
and/or diagnose the problem.
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

My executables were linked in 1998 and are still compatible with V8.3. It's version 3.6.1.
The ZIP file contains objectfiles, so you should be able to relink the images.

regards Kalle
Joe Hurley

Thanks,

I have ran EXECSYMB.BLD LINK. That is how I got the EXECSYMB executiables. But When I init a queue and then start it the QUEUE stays in a Starting state. I was hopeing that recompiling the objects on my system would fix the problem.

I got the copy of EXECSYMB From the Freeware zip files on the HP Freeware website.

Joe
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I haven't looked in this symbiont to see what sort of integrated debugging might be available within the code.

Check for a dump file or a output log file that might get created here.

A symbiont that tips over can tend to leave footprints around in the system directories that can provide clues.

Symbiont output was the classic trigger for the INVSMBMSG; what you need to see is what the symbiont might have generated. This output could be errant diagnostics, or a stackdump or such.

Here, I'd be tempted to (re)build the symbiont with debug and aim the output to a DECwindows display or DECterm (via DBG$DECW$DISPLAY, or DBG$INPUT and DBG$OUTPUT) and get the debugger output visible (somewhere). You probably won't see the Fortran source (assuming the objects you have are not built with debug), but you may be able to get a look at the stack and the carcass if/when the application tips over.