Operating System - OpenVMS
1751869 Members
5304 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: It appears that, although I have the LICENSE for MOTIF V1.2-5, I don't actually have the software.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Thompson_8
Advisor

Re: It appears that, although I have the LICENSE for MOTIF V1.2-5, I don't actually have the software.

Well, rebooting the system seemed to be the next required step.

But now, after the system ran through a few processes, I have a blank screen.

I have rebooted several times in the past with no problems. This is the first time something like this has happened.

Help, anyone?
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Do a conversational boot and set the system parameter WINDOW_SYSTEM to 0 to prevent startup of DW then you should be able to get in.

In ths spirit of "There are No Stupid Questions" let me ask: How do I do that? How do I perform a conversational boot and how do I set the system parameter, WINDOW_SYSTEM to zero?

I gave it a shot with this:

>>> set WINDOW_SYSTEM 0
environment variable WINDOW_SYSTEM created
>>> set system parameter WINDOW_SYSTEM 0
envoronment variable system created
>>>B DKA0

but I still eventually came to a blank screen.
Bill Thompson_8
Advisor

is it:
>>>boot /window_system:0
?
Bill Thompson_8
Advisor

OpenVMS FAQ is a useful document and I have gotten a little closer now to fixing the problem.

On Page 5-6 the Emergency (Convesational) System Startup procedure is described.

At the console prompt (the three chevrons) I have typed:
b -flags 0,1
and this has successfully brought me to the SYSBOOT prompt.

Following the FAQ documentation further, I typed:
SET/STARTUP OPA0:
SET WINDOW_SYSTEM 0
SET WRITESYSPARAMS 0
CONTINUE

And then at the $ prompt I typed the following two DCL commands:
$ SPAWN
$ @SYS$SYSTEM:STARTUP

I have been able to edit the DECW$STARTUP.COM
file and put an
$ EXIT
at the beginning of the file by typing:

$ SET DEF SYS$STARTUP
$ EDIT/EDT DECW$STARTUP.COM

*INSERT
$EXIT

*EXIT

And now I am at a dollar prompt. I will stop now while I am ahead...
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

Bill,

the way you did it works, but is overkill (it's the methd to get into a system that you don't have any passwords for). The regular method would be:

>>> boot -flag ,1

where is the number of your system root (probably 0). You then get to a SYSBOOT prompt:

SYSBOOT> SET WINDOW_SYSTEM 0
SYSBOOT> CONTINUE

cu,
Martin
Bill Thompson_8
Advisor

Martin,

I have successfully stopped the MOTIF from starting whenever I log in as the system manager. But I have a fresh batch of problems now that is caused by this process I have used to fix this problem. Namely, nothing else seems to be starting and this includes FTP and TCP/IP.

I am guessing I need to reset whatever I un-set when I was making sure that the startup was at a minimum.
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

Bill,

>>>
I am guessing I need to reset whatever I un-set when I was making sure that the startup was at a minimum.
<<<

The way you did it, there should be no ill consequences after another reboot (the WRITESYSPARAMS 0 takes care of the fact that changes are not saved to disk - if it is the last command before the CONTINUE).

If you're really screwed up, you can get back to a bootable configuration by a conversational boot and entering

SYSBOOT> USE DEFAULT
SYSBOOT> C ! short for CONTINUE

HTH,
Martin
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Bill,
your trouble seems to become complicated!

Reading thread I can suppose:
1) Your HD may damaged (PARITY ERROR); when you can, execute
$ ANALYZE/DISK/REPAIR/LOCK SYS$SYSDEVICE:
you should see what error are present and fix them.
2) Why do you post? You are fine to solve yourself! I want to intend you read and well understand documentation about boot. Just for talking at SRM level (>>>) you have limited command; don't forget help when you need.
3) I guess, after you edited DECW$STARTUP you can boot without conversional mode. With normal boot you could see all services running (tcp/ip, decnet, etc) while decwindows is stopped. If is true, you can try to activate decwindows manually.

Good Luck
Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Bill Thompson_8
Advisor

Martin, thanks to your latest suggestion, I have been able to get back to what seems to be a more normal login at the terminal.

Antoniov, here is a summary the output from running
ANALYZE/DISK/REPAIR/LOCK SYS$SYSDEVICE at the dollar prompt:

ANALYSE├в ┬ж

ANALYZE/Disk_Structure/REPAIR for _DKA0: started on├в ┬ж
Error opening QUOTA_SYS
No such file
DCLTABLES.EXE marked for delete
TCPIP$BGDRIVER.EXE marked for delete
TCPIP$TNDRIVER.EXE marked for delete
TCPIP$INETACP.EXE marked for delete
DCLTABLES.EXE marked for delete
TCPIP$ACCESS_SHR.EXE marked for delete

What does this all mean?

------------------------------------

I ran the @TCPIP$CONFIG utility and I noticed that all the Client Components and all the Server Components were DISABLED.

So I managed to ENABLE each of them with the exception of only two on the list of Server Components (BIND AND SNMP)

And yet, TELNET still does not work.

As memory serves me, I have to shutdown and restart these components in TCPIP. So I returned to @TCPIP$CONFIG and performed a shutdown. Although it said that the shutdown was complete, it gave me an interface error:

Begin Shutdown├в ┬ж

TCPIP$FTP shutdown complet
%TCPIP-E-INETERROR, internet interface error
-SYSTEM-F-DEVINACT, device inactive
The following Internet devices are still active on your system:

BG1:

Before restarting the Internet software you should stop the process associated with the above BG devices. To locate these processes issue the DCL command SHOW DEVICE BGn/FULL

My result from doing this:

SHOW DEVICE BG1/FULL

Device BG1, device type unknown, is online, mounted, record-oriented device, network device, mailbox device.

And the only useful information seems to be:

Owner Process ├в TCPIP$INET_ACP├в
Owner ProcessID 00000030

I attempted what I considered would be the proper DCL command to stop the process:

$ stop TCPIP$INET_ACP
Object cannot be deleted

$ stop/identification=00000030
Object cannot be deleted

----------------------

As to answer your question as to why I post. I think this is a clear example. I read what I thought would be the online documentation for everything about TCP/IP but my issues were not covered in the text.

Also, I have found that sometimes the online help on the vax and in the printed material is not exactly what I am looking for.

So, Help, Please.