Operating System - OpenVMS
1753318 Members
6291 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

It appears that, although I have the LICENSE for MOTIF V1.2-5, I don't actually have the software.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Thompson_8
Advisor

It appears that, although I have the LICENSE for MOTIF V1.2-5, I don't actually have the software.

One would think that the person who sold us the license would also sell us the software if it is required.

What I have read of the online documentation so far is that there is a D W MOTIF V1.2-5 CD ROM. I assume that I should get this? How do I get it?

It seemed mysterious to me when I was upgrading from one version of OpenVMS to another version that all I had to do was to type in some information from an official license document. But it worked. And then when I was going from one version of MOTIF to another -- or some simular process -- all I had to do was to also type in some information. But now I see that this does not work the same way.

(see www.gelsana.com/huh.htm )
34 REPLIES 34
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Re: It appears that, although I have the LICENSE for MOTIF V1.2-5, I don't actually have the software.

Bill,

What version of OpenVMS are you dealing with on this machine. On all the recent versions that I can recall, MOTIF was packaged, along with the networking products and some others, on the Base OpenVMS CDROM, not a separate CDROM.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Bill Thompson_8
Advisor

Re: It appears that, although I have the LICENSE for MOTIF V1.2-5, I don't actually have the software.

OpenVMS7.2-1

---------

Here is how I conclude that I do not have MOTIF.

A GUI product by a third party looks for DECW$TERMINALSHR12.EXE and cannot find it:

%DCL-W-ACTIMAGE, error activating image DECW$TERMINALSHR12

-CLI-E-IMAGEFNF, image file not found AS800$DKA0:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.][SYSLIB]DECW$TERMINALSHR12.EXE;

Now, the OpenVMS online document for MOTIF mentions this file, DECW$TERMINALSHR12.EXE. There is also mention of an installation process on http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732final/documentation/pdf/dw_v131_instal_gd.PDF

Just to be sure, I did a system search for DECW$TERMINALSHR12.EXE and I came up empty:

$ dir [...]decw$terminal*.*
%DIRECT-W-NOFILES, no files found
$
$ dir [...]decw$term*.*
%DIRECT-W-NOFILES, no files found
$ show def
SYS$SYSDEVICE:[000000]
$
Eberhard Wacker
Valued Contributor

If the system was never installed/upgraded with a YES to the Motif question, then the files are not on the system disk.

One link to the Compaq Manual with installation instructions of these old version of Motif V1.2-5 under VMS V7.2-1:
http://tigger.stcloudstate.edu/~tigger/openvms/72final/6538/6538pro_002.html#pcsi_install
Maybe also on the HP web, I did not look .

And keep in mind: the only actual supported VMS 7 version is OpenVMS V7.3-2 (the prior version support of V7.2-2 has ended 1 year ago) !!!

Cheers,
EW
Eberhard Wacker
Valued Contributor

Motif versions:
1.2-6, valid for VMS V7.2-*
1.3 starts with VMS V7.3-1
1.3-1 starts with VMS V7.3-2
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732final/6434/6434_PROfile.HTML
1.5 starts with VMS V8.2

Eberhard Wacker
Valued Contributor

Hi Bill,
now back to the "how to get" theme of your entry:
1) all of your statements look very curious for me !
2) is your contractor a legally HP one ?
If so why he can give you not the source media ?!!

Now the things as they are as far as I'm aware of them:
if you buy an OS or a layered product at HP (formerly Compaq, formerly DEC) then you have bought the right to use a special version on a special hardware size. If you want to participate in future updates then you have to pay for a service contract.

If you do have a valid service contract (with HP itself or one if its legalized partners) then this all should be no problem: there are several ways to get the software and you even get the password for a web side to download the software (as long as you have no firewall preventing this as it is at my side).

Cheers,
EW
Veli K├╢rkk├╢
Trusted Contributor

How about

$ set terminal/width=132
$ product show product /full
$ type sys$update:vmsinstal.history

so we could check whether you have the software or not. The referenced files does appear to exist on pretty all my various installations
where I do have motif installed

_veli
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Bill,

As Eberhard Wacker pointed out, while MOTIF is physically included on the CDROM, it is an optional component.

Presuming that your system is a server, as opposed to a workstation, it is not uncommon to find MOTIF not installed, although I have not chosen that option for many years, since disk sizes started dramatically exanding.

If this is so, you can install MOTIF by mounting the CDROM, locating the kit, and doing a product installation of the kit, per the release notes.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Bill Thompson_8
Advisor

For Eberhard: I assure you, I have a legal copy of all the software. As Robert Gezelter has pointed, I must not have installed MOTIF when I first installed / upgraded the OS.

I will be doing this now as the documentation CD insturcts.

I must have forgotten that I decided not to included MOTIF and had thought at that time that I would do it later when it was needed. My excuse for not remembering it now is lack of sleep and making a simple human mistake.

For Veli K├Г┬╢rkk├Г┬╢:
$ set terminal/width=132
$ product show product /full
----------------------------------- ----------- ------------ ----------------------------------- -----------------------------------
PRODUCT KIT TYPE STATE MAINTENANCE REFERENCED BY
----------------------------------- ----------- ------------ ----------------------------------- -----------------------------------
DEC AXPVMS DECNET_OSI V7.2-1 Full LP Installed DEC AXPVMS OPENVMS V7.2-1
DEC AXPVMS OPENVMS V7.2-1 Platform Installed
DEC AXPVMS TCPIP V5.0-10 Full LP Installed DEC AXPVMS TCPIP_ECO V5.0-113 DEC AXPVMS OPENVMS V7.2-1
DEC AXPVMS VMS V7.2-1 Oper System Installed DEC AXPVMS DECNET_OSI V7.2-1
DEC AXPVMS OPENVMS V7.2-1
DEC AXPVMS TCPIP V5.0-10
DEC AXPVMS TCPIP_ECO V5.0-113
TERADYNE AXPVMS AX202 V1.0 Full LP Installed

5 items found

VMSINSTAL history file DISK$ALPHASYS:[VMS$COMMON.][SYSUPD]VMSINSTAL.HISTORY;1 contains additional information
$ type sys$update:vmsinstal.history
VMSINSTAL Product Installation History File

S = Success F = Failure NA = Not Applicable

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Information | Installation Information
------------------------------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------------------------
Name | Mnemonic | Version | Date | Status| IVP | Node | Installer
------------------------------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------------------------
| SUP | 18.0 | 29-JUN-2005 | F | NA | AS800 | SYSTEM
| SUP | 18.0 | 29-JUN-2005 | S | NA | AS800 | SYSTEM
$

Bill Thompson_8
Advisor

I have been trying to use install MOTIF by using the system disk I have for OpenVMS V7.2-1.

According to the accompanying documentation (and my interpretation of this documentation), this should be done by typing :

$ @SYS$UPDATE:VMSINSTAL DWMOTIFVAXU5012 AS800$DKA400 -
_$ OPTIONS N, AWD=DKA0

VMSINSTAL started but it soon returned this error:

* Are you satisfied with the backup of your system disk [YES]?

%VMSINSTAL-E-NOPRODS, None of the specified products were found.

So I did a searh on the CDROM for any MOTIF installation system:

$ SET DEF AS800$DKA400:[000000]
$ DIR [...]DWMOTIF*.*

Directory AS800$DKA400:[000000]

DWMOTIF_ALPHA125.DIR;1

Total of 1 file.

Directory AS800$DKA400:[KITS]

DWMOTIF_ALPHA125_KIT.DIR;1

Total of 1 file.

Grand total of 2 directories, 2 files.

But when I try dwmotif_alpha125 instead, I get the same results:

$ set def sys$sysdevice
$
$ @SYS$UPDATE:VMSINSTAL DWMOTIF_ALPHA125 AS800$DKA400 OPTIONS N, AWD=DKA0

OpenVMS AXP Software Product Installation Procedure V7.2-1

It is 15-AUG-2005 at 15:18.

Enter a question mark (?) at any time for help.

* Are you satisfied with the backup of your system disk [YES]?

%VMSINSTAL-E-NOPRODS, None of the specified products were found.

VMSINSTAL procedure done at 15:18

$
I have tried a number of variations but no success so far.