Operating System - OpenVMS
1748272 Members
4164 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

It appears that, although I have the LICENSE for MOTIF V1.2-5, I don't actually have the software.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Re: It appears that, although I have the LICENSE for MOTIF V1.2-5, I don't actually have the software.

Try specifying the directoring containing the .A, .B etc files and replace xxx by the filename of the .A file (without the .A)
$ @SYS$UPDATE:VMSINSTAL xxxxx AS800$DKA400:[DWMOTIF_ALPHA125_KIT] OPTIONS N, AWD=DKA0

Re: It appears that, although I have the LICENSE for MOTIF V1.2-5, I don't actually have the software.

I have been trying a few variations based on that last suggestion for "xxxx" but nothing has worked so far. Here is the contents of the directory, in case this might help in suggesting an option:

Directory AS800$DKA400:[000000.KITS.DWMOTIF_ALPHA125_KIT]

$WORK.DIR;1 CDA$LIBRARY.DIR;1 CDE$DEFAULTS.DIR;1 DEC-AXPVMS-DWMOTIF-V0102-5-1.PCSI$DESCRIPTION;1
DEC-AXPVMS-DWMOTIF-V0102-5-1.PCSI$TLB;1 DECW$BOOK.DIR;1 DECW$DEFAULTS.DIR;1
DECW$INCLUDE.DIR;1 SYSCBI.DIR;1 SYSEXE.DIR;1 SYSHLP.DIR;1
SYSLIB.DIR;1 SYSMGR.DIR;1 SYSMSG.DIR;1 SYSTEST.DIR;1
SYSUPD.DIR;1 VUE$LIBRARY.DIR;1 XDPS$INCLUDE.DIR;1

--------------

$ @SYS$UPDATE:VMSINSTAL DWMOTIF_ALPHA125 as800$DKA400:[kits.dWmotif_alpha125_KIT] OPTIONS N, AWD=DKA0

OpenVMS AXP Software Product Installation Procedure V7.2-1

It is 15-AUG-2005 at 17:50.

Enter a question mark (?) at any time for help.

* Are you satisfied with the backup of your system disk [YES]?

%VMSINSTAL-E-NOPRODS, None of the specified products were found.

-----------------

$ @SYS$UPDATE:VMSINSTAL DEC-AXPVMS-DWMOTIF-V0102-5-1 as800$DKA400:[kits.dWmotif_alpha125_KIT] OPTIONS N, AWD=DKA0

OpenVMS AXP Software Product Installation Procedure V7.2-1

It is 15-AUG-2005 at 17:53.

Enter a question mark (?) at any time for help.

* Are you satisfied with the backup of your system disk [YES]?

%VMSINSTAL-E-NOPRODS, None of the specified products were found.
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

Bill,

it'd seem to me that installing DWMOTIF_VAX_U5012 on your AlphaServer is the wrong way to go.

Re: the CD disk structure: for every layered product, there is a top level directory (i.e. [DWMOTIF_ALPHA125]) and an alias directory entry in [KITS] named *_KIT - but they're really the same directory.

I, too, am a little confused by the directory's contents. Normally, it should contain .A, .B ... (usable with SYS$UPDATE:VMSINSTAL.COM) or DEC-AXPVMS--*.PCSI (usable with the PRODUCT command) files. This seems to be not the case with DECwindows in OpenVMS V7.2-1.

The file [DWMOTIF_ALPHA125.DOCUMENTATION]DW_V125_INSTAL_GD.TXT contains an installation guide. After describing all the requirements to be met, it says the installation commands are

$ DEFINE PCSI$SOURCE DKA400:[DWMOTIF_ALPHA125] ! wrong in the docs !
$ PRODUCT INSTALL DWMOTIF

HTH,
Martin
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor
Solution

that directory appears to contain a PCSI kit in reference format so
$ PRODUCT INSTALL DWMOTIF/SOURCE=as800$DKA400:[kits.dWmotif_alpha125_KIT]

Execution phase starting ...

The following product will be installed to destination:
DEC AXPVMS DWMOTIF V1.2-5 DISK$ALPHASYS:[VMS$COMMON.]

Portion done: 0%...10%...20%

(so far)

I am writing now to give thanks.
Bill Thompson_8
Advisor

Oh no.
I spoke too soon:

Portion done: 0%...10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%...70%
%PCSI-E-READERR, error reading AS800$DKA400:[KITS.DWMOTIF_ALPHA125_KIT.][SYSHLP.EXAMPLES.DECW]XMLIST.EXE;1
-SYSTEM-F-PARITY, parity error
-SYSTEM-W-PARITY, parity error
Portion done: 80%

It is still moving along. But is this something I need to do somethig about?

Bill Thompson_8
Advisor

The following product has been installed:
DEC AXPVMS DWMOTIF V1.2-5 Layered Product
Bill Thompson_8
Advisor

How do I test to see if it works?
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

>>>
How do I test to see if it works?
<<<

If you have a graphics card in your system, there should be a process named DECW$SERVER_0. An attached monitor should show the login screen.

Otherwise, you should be able to redirect X to some system running an X server (e.g. a VMS with DECwindows, Linux, Windows with Refelction or Exceed). If you need help with this one, please ask specifically.

cu,
Martin
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

that error appears to indicate it failed to copy a program from the examples area due to a parity error - this may be due to bad media.
As the kit is in reference format then you can do a ANAL/RMS on that file in the kit or a ANAL/DISK/READ on the whole CD or live without that example program.