Operating System - OpenVMS
1752340 Members
6225 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Itanium Dual core performance (-v- Alpha SMP)

SOLVED
Go to solution
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Itanium Dual core performance (-v- Alpha SMP)

Hi folks,
Does anyone know where I might be able to get information on performance comparisons between Alpha 1GHz processors (4-way ES45's) and Itanium Dual-core processors, i.e. those used in BL860c and BL870c blade servers.

I don't run any graphical apps, just the old basic "command line" legacy stuff.

I am trying to get a feel for how many "cores" I will need to replace my current alpha's.

My other questions is; How would an Itanium 2 processor (4 core) SMP configuration (OVMS 8.3-1h1) compare to an Alpha 4 processor SMP configuration (OVMS 7.3-2). (I know this is very sensitive to the type of apps I am running, however I would appreciate even general comments.

any available links to performance comparisons would be appreciated.

thanks.

Dave.
13 REPLIES 13
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Equal memory?

As long as the application does not do silly unaligned reference the Integrity should win out by a lot.

The best (OpenVMS) resource for this is probably a recent copy from Greg Jordans slide deck. (Bootcamp, European tour, ...)

I expect you to see a lot more benefit from user code then system code.
What is MONI MODE showing over a typical window? Takes half of the usertime away and you might be in the ballpark.

Earlier ITRC discussions in order of perceived relevance.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1119052

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1014899

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1134802

and

http://www.techiegroups.com/archive/index.php/t-120579.html

Hope this helps some,
Hein van den Heuvel (at gmail dot com)
HvdH Performance Consulting
Hoff
Honored Contributor

In terms of the completely unscientific "feel", single-user typical OpenVMS programming using DECterms and such (similar DECwindows and compile, link, run, debug and related activities on both boxes), a dual 900 MHz McKinley-class Integrity rx2600 box (which is older and slower than any of the the officially-supported rx2600 Itanium processor configurations) was at least on par with an AlphaStation XP1000 EV67 667 MHz box, and quite often faster. The 900 MHz McKinley processor is a very old and very slow Itanium processor.

Multicore is a cost-reduced and higher-density form of SMP.

It's arguably entirely the apps. Use the HP Test Drive systems or a loaner box, and get a feel for what you might need for performance.

The unaligned references mentioned earlier are a key consideration on Itanium. They're a performance hit as compared with aligned references on Alpha, but they're much slower on Itanium. In years past, it was an oft-cited 1:100 versus 1:1000 performance difference for unrecognized unaligned references on Alpha and Itanium, IIRC.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC
The Brit
Honored Contributor

OK,
Thanks so far. The next question is; On a multi-core itanium machine does the VMS scheduler assign processes to a "core", or to a "processor", i.e. on a 4-way Alpha, there are 4 cpu's and so 4 processes can occupy the cpu's at any given time.

Now, on a 2 processor, dual-core (i.e. 4 cores) machine, is it able to handle 4 processes per quantum, or only 2??

I realize that if it is 2x as fast, then the 2 processor machine can handle 2x as many processes per unit time than the 4 processor machine, however I am trying to get a feel for what to expect on a system with a large number of interactive users. On our system, we have large numbers of interactive processes being handled, and this keeps all of the CPU's busy, (but not overwhelmingly so, ~50% during the 'busy' period)

The real question is, do I need a replacement system with the same (or greater) number of Processors, or just an equal (or greater) number of cores.

finally,
Is there anyone out there who has upgraded from an alpha SMP machine to an itanium multi-core machine, and is prepared to share their experiences.

Thanks

Dave.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Dave,

OpenVMS I64 schedules processes per core. The cores are seen as individual 'CPUs' at the OpenVMS level ($ SHOW CPU).

If you turn on HyperThreading, this will double your 'CPUs'. OpenVMS I64 detects hyperthreading and the scheduler tries to take this into account when scheduling.

With hyperthreading turned on, 'CPUs' that share the same core are called Cothread CPUs.

Volker.
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

Has anybody gotten a throughput improvement using hyperthreading?
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.
Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

Has anybody gotten a throughput improvement using hyperthreading?

--

Yes, but it is so application-dependent that one must perform their own local tests to see if will help or hinder performance. It's pretty difficult to give broad recommendations.

-- Rob
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Thanks Volker, for your input. That more or less answered our question, and your reply was independently confirmed by my boss, who was discussing it with someone at HP.

Thanks again folks.

Dave.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Guy from BRUDEN-OSSG did some work on looking at performance improvements with hyperthreading and its very application dependant.

"Cores" are "processors". Nothing more, nothing less. The scheduler knows this.

Threads are implemented differently between x86 and Itanium (and differently within various generations of x86), and current Itanium hyperthreads should be thought of as a mechanism for a fast context switch.

Fast switching and the core contention that can arise may or may not assist some applications, and thus threading is selectively enabled. Threading is disabled by default, at least when last I checked.

When threading is enabled, the scheduler knows about how threads share cores, and knows to schedule a second thread on an already-active core only when it really needs to.

Some background reading on SMT and SMP and hyperthreading:

http://64.223.189.234/node/13
http://64.223.189.234/node/608