1753716 Members
4623 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Itanium OpenVMS 8.1 FTP experiences?

Robert Young_13
Advisor

Itanium OpenVMS 8.1 FTP experiences?

Anyone else trying the VMS 8.1 eval on Itanium? I'm wondering if others have noticed problems with FTP timing out, and system crashes when trying to mount ISO 9660 CDs?
21 REPLIES 21
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Itanium OpenVMS 8.1 FTP experiences?

Hi Robert,

We're curretnly evaluating V8.1 on a dual CPU rx2600.
Haven't seen the FTP timeout yet, but crashing the system mounting CDs is no problem.
There are also other bugs still adrift.
E.g. a C program calling lib$wait must be compiled /FLOAT=G_FLOAT, otherwise you'll get an ACCVIO.
Also, since the security server can not be started, we have no means of enabling proxies. (Btw, any suggestions on this one?)
Furthermore, Motif is also somewhat buggy (haven't figured out yet what causes some callbacks to ACCVIO - they work fine on Alpha), and you cannot use the symbolic debugger yet (which is a pain).

Hope you enjoy playing with this thing, as we do.

Kris
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

for proxies you can create a proxy file on an alpha then copy to the itanium box.

Ian,

Thanx 4 the tip on proxies. It works.

Kris
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Robert Young_13
Advisor

The biggest problem at present is that I can not get "external" files to the Itanium. The 9660 CDs cause a crash, and FTP "times out" either coming from or going to any other system. Once in a blue moon I see the expected reply from an external system on FTP, but then it freezes up and times out again. Telnet connects usually 1 out of 6 attempts when going to VMS ( and once connected stays up just fine), yet telnet to the management port is both fast, repeatable, and highly dependable (so it's not apparently a network issue with peripheral network hardware, etc ).

Does anyone know of a way to create a VMS "formatted" CD? I have seen such a system years ago (it ran on a Sun and was for mass production of CD for customer distributions), but there has to be a simpler way.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

for creation of VMS format CD - see CDRECORD facility added to openvms alpha V7.3-1
(SYS$MANAGER:CDRECORD.COM)

have you checked for ethernet speed problems - the rx2600 is probably doing autoneg and this can lead to problems with some switches.

Have you tried ftp from the ItaniumVMS system to other vms system?

The latest OpenVMS on another system we have is 7.3. Don't see CDRECORD on it.

Everything on this net is normal 10 Mb ethernet. The MP ethernet port is working just fine, so it is able to determine speeds correctly. Any suggestions on how to set the autonegotiate to a set value for the other 10/100 and 10/100/1000 ports to see if that makes a difference?

Have tried ftp to/from other VMS systems (Alpha w/7.3 & Compaq TCP/IP (formerly UCX), Vax w/7.1 & Multinet) with same results.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

CDRECORD does work on VMS 7.3. You can get it from
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware60/cdrecord/

Tried directly connecting the Itanium to a laptop that came with a 10/100 internal network connection. A ping test from laptop to Itanium has a 75-50% loss. Can get connected using FTP with laptop as client ( at least it asks and accepts username/pwd now), but any attempt to transfer files lead to a timeout.

Thoughts??

I will look into the CDRECORD.
Alex  Daniels
Frequent Advisor

I have over the past few days FTP'ed off from the Itanium (rx2600) to an Alpha around 200GB.

Once FTP did not connect, gave some kind of error message, I don't have to hand, but I immediatly repeated the command and it connected fine.

Which ethernet port are you using?? Both the one marked 10/100 AND the one marked 1000 GB, are capable of doing 10/100. So why not try switching to the other one, reconfiguring your IP address to the other interface and see if that gives any differering results.

Alex