4754 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

JAVA on OpenVMS V7.2-1

JaMeS_311
Advisor

JAVA on OpenVMS V7.2-1

Hello everyone,

We have an alpha 800 running OVMS V7.2-1. I am trying to install a UPS shutdown agent that runs on JAVA.

I have installed JAVA 1.1.8-5 from hp/Compaq's website and installed all the patches listed on the same pages.

I copied the .jar file supplied with the UPS, changed its format to STMLF and executed the commands illustrated in the attached file.

The server is in fact loading all the class files required and a window opens saying that the server actually connected to the UPS (over the network). However, when I remove the input power to the UPS, it gives a sequence of warnings (pop-up windows) and then the whole process is terminated as shown in the last part of the file.

Does anyone have a clue of what could be the cause? I do not have any experience with JAVA, so I'm not in a position to state whether it is a JAVA configuration issue or else the application's compatibility with OVMS.

10x,
JaMeS
17 REPLIES 17
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Re: JAVA on OpenVMS V7.2-1

James,

What version of JAVA is required to run the UPS's software? Check the requirements of this software.
It may well be that 1.1.8 is too old, and that you'll need a higher version. For your VMS version, that would be 1.2.2-3 (according the download page). If the software requires a higher JAVA version, you're out of luck for this VMS release.

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
JaMeS_311
Advisor

The version specified for the software is 1.1.8. It was developed using this version.

Is there a way to check the source of the problem; i.e. JAVA or VMS or Application?

JaMeS
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

On some point either jGuardGui has found the power on UPS is off, or you have pushed a screen button to do that. The log shows that jGuardGUI has found some problem in processing this, or another warning:

[Loaded java/awt/Canvas.class from
/dka0/sys0/syscommon/java/lib/JDK118_CLASSES.
ZIP]
jGuard error executing the warning command.
[Loaded java/awt/Event.class from
/dka0/sys0/syscommon/java/lib/JDK118_CLASSES.Z
IP]

Now, Java finds something is referenced but not yet initialized, wronly initialized or even missing in some thread:

[Loaded java/lang/NullPointerException.class from
/dka0/sys0/syscommon/java/lib/
JDK118_CLASSES.ZIP]

but others simply continue:

Suddenly, there IS a sever problem (I think)

SIGBUS 10* bus error

and from there, Java runs into severe trouble, ending in some ACCESS VIOLATION.

I don't know where this message comes from, jGuardGUI is a obvious suspect but I woulkdn't be tvery surprised if it came from the JAVA RTE.

My guess, given this output, is that something is broken in jGuardGUI, causing severe problems in JAVA. You should contact your UPS-manufacturer (if he supplied the software).
On the other hand: there has been an issue on p(osix)threads for which a patch exists. I don't know if this patch applies to VMS 7.2-1, but you should check and if it DOES apply, you should install it.

Willem
Willem Grooters
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Additional.
I searched google on this SIGBUS signal - as I expected it's some Unix exception which is hardly explained - as seems to be quite usual in that environment. It's a quite severe problem, it seems....
So I tend to suspect the JAVA runtime to be in error soemwhere, but that may well be caused by the Java application or a problem with pthread handling within VMS.

Willem
Willem Grooters
JaMeS_311
Advisor

Willem,

Another detail that could be important is that I've installed the SDK only. Does it help to install the JRE as well?

Also, should I try upgrading JAVA to 1.2.2 ?!

JaMeS
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

SDK (Software Development Kit) implies RTE (Run Time Environment, Virtual Machine (amongst others)). So if you installed SDK, RTE will be installed as well.

An update to 1.2.2 is just one of the options. But be sure to have ALL required ECO's installed (and active - you may need a reboot...) _before_attempting to run a program requireing them. See the relasenotes (which are _included_ in the package, so you'll need to download it anyway).

Willem
Willem Grooters
JaMeS_311
Advisor

I've installed another patch (VMS721_LIBRTL-V0400) and now i'm at the point where the UPS starts the countdown to initiate the shutdown procedure (see it on the gui) and then get an error from the same process stating that it cannot execute the command I've given her. It stops there, but does not terminate as before.

Could it be that the application (or JAVA) has some problems to interact with the VMS command interpreter?!

JaMeS
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

I've installed another patch (VMS721_LIBRTL-V0400) ...

As I stated before, there are some issues with threads. The patch that addresses these is vms721_pthread_0400. are you sure that one is installed?

Willem

Willem Grooters
JaMeS_311
Advisor

The patches that i installed prior to installing JAVA are:

VMS721_UPDATE-V0300
VMS721_ACRTL-V0400
VMS721_PTHREAD-V0400

I've installed the one below afterwards:

VMS721_LIBRTL-V0400

As I said above, the application is running and it communicates with the UPS and starts the shutdown process when power to the UPS is removed. It also starts the countdown I gave it to start shutting down the server. Then when it comes to EXECUTE the shutdown command, it gives an error and stops there.

I tried to give it other dummy commands such as type a file or write something to screen but still it does not execute it. I even removed the command and left the shutdown field blank. It still gives an error!

Then I thought it could be related to priviliges. I execute the command from the system account and it is not identified by VMS as a subprocess!

$ show process _fta7: /subprocess