Operating System - OpenVMS
1751712 Members
5689 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Java 1.4.1/1.4.2 problems

Cliff McKeithan

Java 1.4.1/1.4.2 problems

Anytime I attempt to run a Java program that uses the AWT, it immediately fails with a subscript out of range (-1) exception. The problem only exists using 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 - if I run the exact same program with 1.3 or earlier, it runs just fine.

I am using OpenVMS 7.3-1, with all the required patches per the installation instructions for 1.4.1 and 1.4.2.

Thanks for the help!
Cliff
5 REPLIES 5
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Cliff,

just installed 1.4.2-1 on my 7.3-2 system. Fired up a Java program with graphics (see
http://zinser.no-ip.info/vms/sw/logo.htmlx), works without any problem. Might be a problem with your application. Does the same happen with a "Hello World" type of AWT program?

Greetings, Martin
Cliff McKeithan

Martin,
The problem is there for even the smallest HelloWorld app. I can't even run any of the example AWT programs fielded with Java.
Cliff
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Cliff,

in that case it looks like your Java installation is broken. Two possibilities: The actual on-disk installation is broken (pcsi remove followed by a pcsi install should take care of this), or your setup somehow got messed. Check the output of sh log *java* and sh sym j* for any occurances of Java components not pointing to the 141 or 142 installation directories.

Greetings, Martin
Infrastructure Midrange
Occasional Advisor

Hello Cliff,

have a close look on your process parameter (UAF settings). I've had also problems which al releid on those settings. (I don't know exactly anymore but there must be a statement in the release notes about this...)

Kind regards, Luitzen
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Cliff,
It may not cause your porblem but just in case: are you sure _all_ files in the JAVA 1.4.x environment are STREAM_LF?
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager