108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: KSP INVAL when booting

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeff Wolfe_1
Frequent Advisor

KSP INVAL when booting

After installing the latest version of Advanced server we booted our AXP 3000 and the system failed to boot with the error

?02 KSP INVAL

Is this a hardware failure? I can't found out any information from any HP site. The system was fine 30 minutes ago and we've done numerous boot alread today. Now it's dead!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

OpenVMS 7.3-2
Internal RZ29 disk
7 REPLIES 7
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

The hardware of the DEC3000 systems is pretty solid - it could be a corruption of the bootstrap, however.

Has somebody pressed the reset button when the system was up? I would boot from a CD-ROM and try to see if I can mount the system disk from there as I have seen situations where a VMS system did not reboot on its own. Only after an external rebuild was done - really! I kid you not!

If that doesn't work I would save the current system disk and restore the backup that was made before Advanced Server was upgraded (you did a backup?).
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Jeff,

when exactly do you get the message? Is it during a particular part of the boot process? Which version of Advanced server do you have installed?

Does the same happen if you uncomment the Advanced Server startup?

Greetings, Martin
Jeff Wolfe_1
Frequent Advisor

It may be a drive problem then. The problem occurs after the console init and before the first VMS message. I can boot from the CD. Does writeboot still work in Alpha? I can't remember the last time I used it.
Jeff Wolfe_1
Frequent Advisor

Problem fixed!

I had to run writeboot. The only thing done to the machine today was the installation and configuration of Advanced server. Does anyone think that the Advanced server setup is able to distroy the boot block? This was the latest version 7.3a ECO 2.

Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Jeff,

while it seems that in your case there is at least a temporal connection between the two, it is not a general habit of AS 7.3 ECO2 to destroy the boot information. We have it running on a number of different servers and it did not do that to us. Maybe Paul or Brad can comment if hp has received any reports about this from other sites.

Greetings, Martin
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Jeff,
is anybody running privileged software that does QIO to terminal ports? In the past I have seen disk corruptions when somebody fired a terminal QIO to a disk I/O channel. Unfortunately the function codes for different device classes overlap.

Have you done an ANALYZE/DISK_STRUCTURE, just to see if there are corruptions in other disk areas?
Jeff Wolfe_1
Frequent Advisor

I was able to boot the system from the VMS install CD and run an analyze on the disk. It was clean. So, I just replaced the bootblock with writeboot and everything was fine.