108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Keystroke auditing on OpenVMS Integrity v8.3-1H1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Reece_3
Trusted Contributor

Does anyone have any direct experience of support and development of KeyCapture? Any idea whether there's a reasonable amount of development work happening or whether it's a team of one guy somewhere with an old VAX or Alpha maintaining the code?

Thanks

Steve
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Steve,

I don't have any direct experience with support/development of KeyCapture.

My guess is that none of these three commercial products have a large development group, and I would be surprised if any had more than one primary developer/maintainer for the products. I also doubt that there are many HP engineers dedicated to the VMS terminal driver.

I would guess that all the products that are logging on the node being monitored are intercepting the traffic between the terminal port/class interface via the GETNXT/PUTNXT routine pointers in the terminal UCB (UCB$L_TT_GETNXT/UCB$L_TT_PUTNXT). At least that is the most direct (most efficient) approach that I am aware of. Just for reference, PUTNXT is used for terminal input (it puts into the typeahead buffer); GETNXT is for terminal output (gets the next character or string (burst) to output to the user's terminal.)

In my opinion, the most important question is how well the design is documented by/for the product developers/supporters and how cleanly written the code is. This will determine how easily a new person will be able to support the product. Unfortunately, I know of no way to determine this from the outside, as the code is proprietary and closed source.

One indicator is the quality of the external product documentation. Another is how long it took each vendor to release an IA64 version of the product after OpenVMS IA64 became available. Although this is an indirect indicator, it is an externally visible indicator of the vendor's ability/desire to support the VMS market. Since these products are using internal features of VMS that are not in end user documentation, it implies that the vendors need access to the VMS source code listings (or at least a contact in VMS engineering that can provide select information).

Jon
it depends
Rick Lade

I have direct experience with KeyCapture v5.2.05 that is running on two AlphaServers clustered together. It has been invaluable in monitoring password changes which are normally blocked in SET HOST/LOG files and other AUDITing programs. It even works with terminals set to /NOECHO. Email me or give me a call if you want to talk personally about the product.

Rick Lade
Brian  Schenkenberger
Frequent Advisor

steve wrote:

>Does anyone have any direct experience of
>support and development of KeyCapture? Any
>idea whether there's a reasonable amount of
>development work happening or whether it's
>a team of one guy somewhere with an old VAX
>or Alpha maintaining the code?

I have VAXen, Alphas and Integritys. ;)

What seems to be the issue with AUDIT. If you really need the /NOECHO in the AUDIT log, that can be enabled. However, I think you will find with the other loggers -- as they intercept using the same patented approach -- that the keystrokes are missing from their logs as well.

Make the case to ProvN and it will become.
P Muralidhar Kini
Honored Contributor

Hi Steve,

You can try out the Key Capture tool.

Check the following link -
* Key Capture
http://openvmsalpha.com/75/key-capture/

Key Capture is a OpenVMS tool for logging/aduting the keyboard input for
a set of users. This should give you the feature that you are looking for.

The link mentions that the Key Capture is availble in ALPHA versions.
The Itanium version is yet to be released. Not sure if the IA64 version
has been released.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Murali
Let There Be Rock - AC/DC