Operating System - OpenVMS
1753386 Members
6797 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LAT devices and Telnet Ports

Scott Spurgeon

LAT devices and Telnet Ports

I am using DSM under VMS and need to open a LAT port that can have an open connection to a telnet port. I am looking to keep the connection open so a data stream can be read directly into DSM from a TCPIP connected device. We have VMS version 7.2-1 and TCPIP version 5.0A.
4 REPLIES 4
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Scott,

These are two different technologies, with two sets of mechanisms (having programmed quite a bit over the years with both).

Which device is the one establishing the connection? One can, one way or the other, establish LAT connections from/to the VMS system; similar things can be done with the various flavors of IP stacks.

Why do you need to use both LAT and TELNET? Do you need to support both? Using a LAT channel to connect to a TELNET session seems more complex than need be, although it can be done.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Scott Spurgeon

Bob,

LAT is not necessary to make the connection from DSM, The only given is that the incoming data will be from a TCPIP port. That data stream needs to be actively loaded into the DSM environment.

Thanks

Scoot
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Scott,

Then you want to accept or initiate (depending on the details of your situation) a TELNET connection.

Either one is possible in a variety of ways. The exact best way is dependant on how your application is structured.

The operative question is whether this connection is initiated from the remote end, or whether your OpenVMS system initiates it from its end (whether it is architecturally appropriate to use an approach structured around a terminal or an automatic login, or whether an approach involving a background process is more appropriate. I have done both in varying circumstances).

If you are not comfortable discussing the details of your situation online publicly, please feel free to contact me offline.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Scott,
I don't know DSM but I guess you can simply create a tna port with
$ TELNET CREATE /PERM
It's just an example. You have to suplly more information for furthermore help.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti