New Discussion юеВ

Re: LAT ports to modem has gone inactive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fredrik.eriksson
Valued Contributor

Hi again Volker,

Sry for the late reply, I'm on site 2 days a week.

I can connect to the DECserver-200's. Even thou I still don't have the password i atleast get the "#" prompt for it.

The DECserver-700 just doesn't reply and says that there is no response from that system.

I'll get back when I've plugged in a terminal to the DECserver-700 and seen if has some perculiar things to tell me :P

Thanks for all the replies so far :)

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> Even thou I still don't have the password i
> atleast get the "#" prompt for it.

The default (factory-set) password is: ACCESS

When you get to the point when you need to
SET PRIVILEGED, try: SYSTEM
Chris Scheers
Advisor

When you check the DECserver 700, check the LED by the ports. It should show a "rotating infinity sign". Basically, the LED segments should be cycling.

If they are not cycling, the DECserver is not running. Please report back with what is shown on the LEDs.

If they are, the network connection is probably bad.

Good luck!
Fredrik.eriksson
Valued Contributor

Chris,

The leds are lit, but they're displaying a number alternating between 3 and 4 :/

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Fredrik,

4 = Requesting load
3 = Load request backoff

Check any OpenVMS systems, which have MOP enabled, whether they are receiving download requests from that DECserver 700. They may not have the desired download file.

There could also be a network problem causing the DECserver-700 download requests not to reach any hosts, which are able to download the requested iamge.

Volker.
Oswald Knoppers_1
Valued Contributor

Ik think the DECserver can also use bootp/tftp for downloading its software.

Also you can connect a terminal to port 1 of the server, by default this is the console port.

If you know what the load host should be do a reply/enable on that host. Mop and bootp requests will trigger opcom messages.

Regards,

Oswald
Fredrik.eriksson
Valued Contributor

A network issue sounds reasonable. It started doing this after we yanked the power cable in a feeble attempt to get it up again :P.

Before we did this it wasn't accessable anyway. I'll run down and check if there's any network issues with it later today.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson
Fredrik.eriksson
Valued Contributor

Okey, I've done some checks now. The NOC group says there's not issue with the network connection to that machine (there exact words was "there is no duplex problems" which I interpret as a confirmation that they have a link up).

I connected a terminal to the machine (potr 1 as suggested above, and even tried port 2)and that didn't give me much.
I got some jibberish writeout (├Г┬л,├Г┬╝,x about half a screen) every time it switched between 3 and 4 on the little led display.

Any other ideas?

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Fredrik,

the DECserver will send it's messages on Port 1 in clear ASCII text. You may need to adjust the speed of the serial port (default would be 9600 bd) of your terminal/PC.

You need to find an OpenVMS system with the DECserver-700 software installed, and connected to the same LAN as the DECserver-700 - assuming it tries to download it's software image via the MOP protocol.

Volker.
Fredrik.eriksson
Valued Contributor

Hi Volker,

I'm going to try and get ahold of a laptop and a usb->serial cable and go down there again and this time try with the hyperterminal or something like that.

The DECServer700 is on the same LAN, and I know which machine I'm supposed to try to connect from, that much is in my documentation that the guys managing this before me wrote (thou they forgot some things... like passwords :P).

The NOC group told me that they've been down there now and the port is active and has link. So something else must be the problem... What happens if I do a system reset of it? Does it loose all the configuration made?

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson