108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LIBRARY /CREATE .... CXX$LINK.OLB ??

LIBRARY /CREATE .... CXX$LINK.OLB ??

I am looking for a little better clarification on the command sequence:

$ LIBRARY/CREATE
non-writeable-repository-dirCXX$LINK.OLB -
non-writeable-repository-spec*.OBJ

Also, a better explanation and example of repositories as defined above.

The above was found in HP C++ Version 7.3
Release Notes for OpenVMS Alpha-June 14, 2007
5 REPLIES 5
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Re: LIBRARY /CREATE .... CXX$LINK.OLB ??

Vince,

So that we do work at cross purposes, a complete page number or URL would be helpful.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

Vince, I see you followed up on my suggestion to look at the release notes. What you cite is actually from the C++ 6.2 release notes, but prior version release notes are carried forward.

Bob, a shortcut for finding out what he's talking about, if you have C++ installed, is:

$ search sys$help:*cxx*.release_notes/win=30 cxx$link.olb

I've read what it says there and it all seems clear enough. A repository is just a directory full of object files, by default [.CXX$REPOSITORY]. CXXLINK creates and populates the object library from the object files, then passes the result to the linker via LNK$LIBRARY.

If you specify more than the default repository via CXXLINK/REPOSITORY, then you have to create object libraries in those directories yourself. It looks like you have to populate them yourself as well, though that would be easy enough to discover with a little experimentation.

But so far all I've done is repeat what the docs say in somewhat simplified form. Have you tried all this and are encountering some problem? What exactly are you trying to do? Are there any error messages you are getting?

Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Craig,

Yes, I know. However, since these "conversations" are archived, I make it a point to ask that citations be explicit, so that future readers can follow the discussion in a useful fashion.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

Craig,
Yes, I have been reviewing the Release notes carefully. Thanks.

Problem is as described in other link - C++ Link issue. The unresolved symbols is the problem.

Everything appears to be the same between the old and new system except the C++ compiler upgrade.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Vince, you might well and reasonably believe you have described the problem in sufficient detail here, but I do not see any indications in your three threads here in ITRC of any fatal, error, nor warning errors.

I do see a small collection of informational messages in one of your other threads here (threadId=1205870), but the use of the /LOG_FILE qualifier on the CXXLINK command does tend to involve various informational messages.

There are specific steps involved in moving from C++ V5 to V6 or later around working with the repositories across versions, though I'd tend to rebuild everything as a matter of course.