1752754 Members
4488 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LSE setting characteristics of initial buffer on entry

Mike Kier
Valued Contributor

LSE setting characteristics of initial buffer on entry

I knew this at one time, but my memory has faded away.

How do you set characteristics such as SET WRAP and SET TAB_INCREMENT on the buffer created when you invoke LSE with a filename (e.g., $ LSE SAMPLE.FOR)?

I've tried setting them in my LSE$INITIALIZATION file and while things like key definitions work, the SET WRAP, etc., silently disappear and if I remember correctly its because the buffer I want these set for is not the current buffer at the time the Init file is processed.

But I don't recall what the workaround is...

Any help?
Practice Random Acts of VMS Marketing
4 REPLIES 4
EdgarZamora
Trusted Contributor

It's been a long time since I used LSE and I don't remember exactly... but maybe this might ring a bell... do you go to the $DEFAULTS (or $DEFAULT I can't remember) buffer and make your changes there so that it will apply to future buffers?

Hope that helps a bit... or I could be totally off from what you're asking.
Mike Kier
Valued Contributor

Thanks Edgar, that got me partially down the road - I had the sequence of events backward - the settings in LSE$INITIALIZATION are indeed being applied to $DEFAULTS and then inherited by any buffers created EXCEPT if the buffer is associated with a Language in which case the Language defaults for wrap, tab increment and right and left margins override those for the $DEFAULTS buffer.

Since I can't (and wouldn't want to) change the systemwide Language settings, I need to figure out another way to automatically change the wrap and tab increment settings for the buffer after the Language settings have been applied
Mike Kier
Valued Contributor

Found it. Edgar, I wish I could drop a couple of more points your way as you sent me down the right path.

Here's how its done (using LSE syntax, not PLSE):

$LSE
LSE> MODIFY LANGUAGE FORTRAN /WRAP /TAB=2
LSE> SAVE ENVIRONMENT
LSE> EXIT
$ DEFINE /NoLOG LSE$ENVIRONMENT ! in LOGIN.COM

and voila, buffers created either implicitly or explicitly with language FORTRAN will get those attributes.
Mike Kier
Valued Contributor

See above