108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Large number of entries in print queue

SOLVED
Go to solution
John A.  Beard
Regular Advisor

Large number of entries in print queue

We have a label printer issue where on-site technicians have been working for some time now to get the device back up and running.

The jobs that go to this queue are auto-generated (through scanning) and number about 1000-1500 jobs per day. Because of the on-going problem with the printer, the queue is permanently in a stalled state and total job numbers quickly run into the 1000s. Apart from deleting the VMS queue and letting the jobs just fly out the window, I was wondering what impact having 1000s of jobs being handled by the queue manager might have on overall performance, etc. I know we can clean up the queue on a daily basis, so once again, I'm just looking for any general guidance on the potential affects of having huge numbers of jobs being submitted to the queue....thanks.
Glacann fear cr├нonna comhairle.
5 REPLIES 5
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor
Solution

I once did tests on a alphastation 500 running 7.3 and created more than 10.000 entries. No problems but when the problem is solved it's best to do a
$ mcr jbc$command diag 7
to reset the queue db size.

Of course, if you monitor the queue entries in DCL or whatever, this could take a very long time to complete.

fwiw

Wim
Wim
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

You can clean the queue really easily

$ INIT /QUEUE JUNKQ !add /BATCH or /DEVICE
$ ASSIGN/MERGE JUNKQ the_real_q
$ DELETE/QUEUE JUNKQ

(Courtesy of Jess Goodman)
John A.  Beard
Regular Advisor

Hi Wim,

Can you elaborate on what the parameters "diag 7" do within the command ....$ mcr jbc$command diag 7
Hoff
Honored Contributor

There isn't typically a huge effect here, and tens of thousands of entries in the queue database isn't all that much.

The DIAG 7 stuff is an old-time and formerly undocumented command that compresses part of the job controller database. It became documented in a copy of the release notes a while back:

--
You can shrink the size of the journal ├п┬м le by having a privileged user issue the
following DCL command:
$ MCR JBC$COMMAND DIAG 7
Executing this DCL command check points the queue journal ├п┬м le and shrinks the
├п┬м le to the minimum size required for queue system operation.
---

Current versions of the Job Controller have become somewhat better in related areas, too. The usual "apply current ECO kits" rule applies here.
John A.  Beard
Regular Advisor

Thanks to one and all for the information I needed