5596 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Lat Configuration Cookbook

geir_2
Super Advisor

Lat Configuration Cookbook

Hi,

I have problem to configure a DECserver 7xx. As far as I know the LAT is configured on a OpenVMS system, and later the configuration files is transffered to LAT through MOP protocol.

So far, no problem. But the LED lamp on the Terminalserver is blinking all time. I tried to set up a config file for the LAT on OpenVMS, and connect the cable to it, without success. I also tried to reboot the VMS and Terminalserver, without success. At end I think that I should try to connect a PC to console port on the Terminalserver (Hyperterm with standard configs). No success.

Is the someone that could help me?

Thanks

Geir
29 REPLIES 29
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Hello
You do not have to reboot OpenVMS for such a thing.
But is your DECserver booted? Where do you boot DECserver from?
By default DECserver must "see" LAT services if any (when operational).
Do you have some "requesting load" messages on VMS console?
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Geir,
reading your post I understand your DecServer 7xx has to load image form VMS machine; on port 1 you should see all diagnostics messages.
If is it true, you have a image file on one vms server, for example MENGx.SYS (you can know exact file name form port 1).
Then you have to enable service on network.
For example, suppose file is MNENG3.SYS, you could:
1) Check for image file
$ DIR MOM$LOAD:MNENG3.SYS
(You can see all images in this directory)
2) Enable service (via Decnet IV)
$ MC NCP
SET CIRC SERVICE ENABLE
DEF CIRC SERVICE ENABLE
SHOW CIRC CHAR
3) Connect a terminal to port 1 and reset DecServer.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Geir,

you name DECserver 7xx.
That gives the first ambuigity: some servers in the 7xx series have internal firmware, some need a remote load.

If you connect a VT (or Terminal Emulator) tp Port_1, and then power up the server, you should get some info.
Also the red LEDs should display a countdown. To where does that come?

If you need for a LOAD file (depending on the DECserver type) do you have MOP or LANCP DLL activated? ( DLL is DownLineLoad, and NOT the M$ acronym!)

Enough questions, please provide the answers, and we will take it from there.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Peter Quodling
Trusted Contributor

also reply/enable so that you can see whether it is "taking" the mop download...

The full model number would help here...

Also have you tried connecting to it? mc ncp connect node via is the syntax as I recall...

q
Leave the Money on the Fridge.
William Webb_2
Frequent Advisor

You need to have a particular file in your MOM$LOAD directory- It'll either be WWENG1.SYS or WWENG2.SYS, if memory serves me correctly.

As it goes through the boot/load process, a DECserver 700 displays different things in a seven-segment display that's over by the ethernet connectors.

I am attaching a .pdf that's the page from the DECserver 700 manual that has the 7-segment LED sequences.

Hope this helps,

WWWebb
geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. But so far I still get problems. The Terminalserver is still blinking. No output when I connect a VT100-terminal or PC(hyperterm) to Console port 1.
Does it mean the DECserver is damaged?

The OpenVMS is also connected to the DECserver (which is blinking all time)

Thanks Geir
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Geir,

is the green OK LED is blinking, it indicates a nonfatal error during selftest.

see the DECserver 700 manual:

http://www.dnpg.com/dr/decserver/decserver-platforms/documentation/dsrvw-mg.pdf

Consider to reset the DECserver 700:

On power up, press the reset switch until E appears on the seven-segment display. This reloads the factory set parameters.

Then connect your terminal/PC to Port 1 (9600 baud, 8 bit, no parity). Unplug the power cord (of the DECserver 700) and plug it in again. Then look for messages on your terminal/PC.

Volker.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Geir,

you did not answer the most important question yet.

You have a DECserver 7xx.

Please specify xx, as that determines whether this beast does boot from embedded firmware, or it first will have to do a load from an external source.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Valentin Likoum
Frequent Advisor

What is flashing? OK LED? Seven-segment display? Accordingly to my book:
- System OK LED Off/Seven-Segment Display Flashing - A hardware error occurred that makes the DECserver 700 nonoperational.
- If the System OK LED is flashing after power up, it indicates that the DECserver 700
has a nonfatal problem detected during self-test. The error message on the console
terminal shows the primary problem.
Are your terminal on 1st port configured 9600,8,n,1?