108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Lat Configuration Cookbook

geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

It's DECserver 700.

When I press the reset button, the green LED lamp is blinking very fast. The seven-segment red display is blank. How long should it normal take until E.

geir
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Geir,

did you read the manual ? It's quite detailled regarding troubleshooting procedures...

To reset the DECserver 700 to factory defaults, unplug the power cord. Then keep the Reset button pressed, WHILE you re-insert the power cord, still keep the reset button pressed in and wait until 'E' shows up on the display. Also look at your terminal for messages... maybe the seven-segment display is also bad ?!

After 1-2 minutes, I would give up and declare the DECserver 700 dead ;-(

Volker.
Valentin Likoum
Frequent Advisor

Uh! I recall we had very strange behaviour on DecServer700 - it stalled in self-test (E on red display). It happens to be power module failure - it supplied one low voltage and didn't give another.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Geir,
console on port 1 has non autobaud capacity. Are you sure set 9600 baud, 8 bit, no parity?

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi,
Thanks for the answer. Yes the connection from port 1 on DECserver 700 is configured to 9600 baud, 8 bit, no parity.

The green LED lamp is blinking and 'E' shows up on the display window.

I tried to the suggestion from Volker Halle, without result. One single smileys in the terminal window.

Thanks
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Geir,

'E' indicates: DECserver 700 internal test

If it continues to display 'E' and the OK LED continues blinking, I'm quite sure, that you have a hardware problem.

Sorry,

Volker.
geir_2
Super Advisor

Thanks for the answer. I have two DECserver 700, with the same behavior. It's quite strange, but they're old. So maybe that's the reason.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

If they are old, may be they require some minutes to terminate their auto-test. I remember some old terminal server that stay mute for 3/4 minutes.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
William Webb_2
Frequent Advisor

I just had another thought.

Are you sure that the Ethernet connection you're connecting to is active?

DECserver 700s have two Ethernet connections-
10BaseT and AUI.

There's a very small silver switch in between the two Ethernet connections which selects which one is active.

If you look closely you'll see little lines on the back of the DECserver indicating which switch position points at which Ethernet connector.

WARNING: DO NOT FLIP THIS SWITCH WHILE THE TERMINAL SERVER IS POWERED UP OR CONNECTED TO ETHERNET OR YOU MIGHT KILL THE DECSERVER!
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Geir,

from your Forum Profile:

I have assigned points to 70 of 117 responses to my questions.

Maybe you can find some time to do some assigning?

Mind, I do NOT say you necessarily need to give lots of points. It is fully up to _YOU_ to decide how many. If you consider an answer is not deserving any points, you can also assign 0 ( = zero ) points, and then that answer will no longer be counted as unassigned.
Consider, that every poster took at least the trouble of posting for you!

To easily find your streams with unassigned points, click your own name somewhere.
This will bring up your profile.
Near the bottom of that page, under the caption ├в My Question(s)├в you will find ├в questions or topics with unassigned points ├в Clicking that will give all, and only, your questions that still have unassigned postings.

Thanks on behalf of your Forum colleagues.

PS. ├в nothing personal in this. I try to post it to everyone with this kind of assignment ratio in this forum. If you have received a posting like this before ├в please do not take offence ├в none is intended!

Proost.

Have one on me.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.