5097 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

License question I (OpenVms)

Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

License question I (OpenVms)

[Foreward]
I never upgrade a license; when a my customer solds new hardware updated license from HP (formerly Dec/Compaq) vendor because I don't sell hardware.
[Today]
Reading forum threads I persuade myself it's time to upgrade vms software of my customers to last OpenVms V7.3 so I said this to allbodies.
My customers have various vms version and license type. How can I upgrade in full respect of license term? I read many pages about license such as this http://licensing.hp.com/swl/faq.slm#general
but I've got only a big head evil.
My customers are little business and they have AXP400 and DS10 machine.
[Question]
- The OpenVMS old license of added user are still valid for OpenVMS V7.3?
- The binary CD is QA-MT1AA-H8 (I've seen at http://h18000.www1.hp.com/emea/software/it/opersysovms.html), is it right?
- Every customer must buy the own CD or with single CD I can install binary on system?

Thanks for your answer.
Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
4 REPLIES 4
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Re: License question I (OpenVms)

Hello Antonio,

here is my understanding of the situation. No doubt others will correct me if I am wrong ;-)

1.) You do need a new base OS license when
upgrading from 7.2 or lower to 7.3-x

2.) 7.3->7.3-1->7.3-2 are no cost upgrades if you are at any level of 7.3.

3.) You only need one CD to upgrade any number
of systems. For our installations we actually copy the CD to a storageworks disk, add all patches to the disk to and install from this disk (which is much faster than using the CD)

Greetings, Martin
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Martin, thanks for fast reply.
You wrote, if I understand, my customer have to buy a new base license; add-on license (after 2.nd user) are still valid?
Noboby of my customer has V7.3.

Thanks
Antoniov

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Antonio,
I'm not sure about this, but it might be enough to upgrade the licence for that upgrade. That would mean far less cost.
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I think you have to may have to buy upgrade licence for the added user lic but I'm not sure. Certainly an upgrade lic is cheaper than new base lic.