can login interactively?

Let say I want user XYZ to be able to login
interactively only two times, but he should be
able to run as many process as he need.
8 REPLIES 8
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Re: Limit interactive login to a user

I think if you modify the username in authorize to set maxjobs to 2 it should do it.

Edmundo,

note that /MAXJOBS also limits the batch, detached and network jobs for the user. See UAF> HELP MOD/MAXJOBS

The user can spawn as many subprocesses as PRCLM allows (per each job).

Volker.
Edmundo T Rodriguez
Frequent Advisor

That's exactly the issue that I am trying to
avoid. The user I am trying to limit generates many batch job while login in and some of the batch jobs do inter-process communication while executing the task.

But I don't want this user to login more than twice interactively because they always stay in the system for days and causes other problems.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Another way would be some code in the system wide login procedure SYLOGIN which for interactive logins obtained the username using F$GETJPI and checked the limit.

I did a huge research on this accross multiple web-sites and not even the OpenVMS-Wizard seems to have a simple recomendation.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Edmundo,

the following may not be 'simple', but it seems to work ;-)

This is a complex PIPE statement based on the following ITRC entry:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=876934

$ pipe show user 'F$GETJPI("","USERNAME") |
search sys$pipe/noout/stat 'F$GETJPI("","USERNAME") | search sys$pipe matched | ( read sys$pipe x ; y=F$ELEMENT(2," ",F$EDIT(x,"TRIM,COMPRESS")) ; def/job count &y )

The job-wide logical COUNT would contain the no. of times this user is logged in simultaneously cluster-wide. You can then base further decisions during SYLOGIN.COM on the value of this logical.

Volker.

PS: You might want to use your browser's View Source Text function to read and copy the above pipe statement. Note that it's all one DCL line.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Edmundo,

You can also check the Process Name of the process from within SYLOGIN.COM (or a group LOGIN.COM invoked by SYLOGIN.COM). The first interactive process is automatically assigned a process name corresponding to the username. The second process (on that cluster node) is assigned a process name based on the login device. If the process name <> the username, then you could just LOGOUT the process.

It is a little more complex, but something similar could be done on a clusterwide basis with a little thought.

I hope that the above is helpful.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Edmundo,

a slight correction:

You may want to include the argument for the first SEARCH command with a leading and trailing space, to prevent false matches, if the login username happens to be a substring of another logged in username, i.e. use:

" ''F$EDIT(F$GETJPI("","USERNAME"),"TRIM")' "

Volker.