1753730 Members
4795 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Link Errors

Hoff
Honored Contributor

The PRODUCT LIST command fails because there is no C kit present in the default directory.  You'll need to have that kit present, as that's the source for the CLD file that is being retrieved here.

Using a ccontrol DCL verb (and particularly a DCL verb that is defined in a way that blocks the C compiler) is not something I'd consider good practice on OpenVMS.

I'd suggest acquiring an escalation and support path for your site, as well.  We haven't commenced with the configuration and any necessary troubleshooting with the tool that initiated this discussion; we're still just trying to get the base OpenVMS environment to work correctly.

Paul Coviello
Frequent Advisor

already done... since I don't have C evidently. is there an additional cost for this?

thanks

Paul Coviello
Frequent Advisor

the response :-(

Per Intersystems: the minimum command to start CCONTROL is CCON, and in their controlled tests this is how it behaves. However they too have seen this in uncontrolled tests. That is CCONTROL adopting the abbreviation of CC, and thus potentially masking the C Compiler. They do not know why this happens, but are inclined to blame poor design in the command definition utility. This is one part of OpenVMS with no diagnostics, effective listing or analysis utility, and there is no reliable way of removing commands out of sequence.

What they did suggest as a work a reasonable work around is to re-install the "C" Compiler. That should set things right. You could also ask HP for tools to analyze and edit your DCL command table, but re-installing the C Compiler would be a lot quicker.

Hoff
Honored Contributor

I'd get everybody on a conference call, and find the trigger and the resolution.  Get the Intersystems and HP support folks together, and find the fix for this.  (The Intersystems folks don't appear to be taking on the primary role for resolving this case, so you or someone your organization designates are probably going to own that primary role for now.  Having a known and confirmed case of the bug is - to me - interesting, too.)

If you want somebody else to review (part of) the trigger here, then we'll need to see the full CLD command definition for the CCONTROL tool.  (We can extract the CLD for the C compiler ourselves, but not everybody here has access to the Cache' software.)  The CLD is embedded somewhere the  Cache' software installation environment, but I don't know where that might be.  The other option is the VERB tool, and extracting it from the live DCLTABLES file.

To avoid the collision entirely, the brute-force fix is to create a parallel DCLTABLES file, and load the C verb into that, and use that while you're working with the compilers.  Or to delete the CCONTROL verb from the current (local) command table, and then load the C verb.  The former is rather more involved to set up and maintain than seems reasonable to document here, while the latter sequence was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Have a backup of the disk before I started working on the command tables.  Mistakes do happen.

I'd not have created a command verb that collides like this, but that's me.  My guess is that Intersystems is stuck with the fallout from that particular decision.

And yes, loading the C compiler again is simple.  But it really reeks of a hack-around for a bug that's here somewhere.