108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Link state in OpenVMS 7.3-2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fredrik.eriksson
Valued Contributor

Ian, They're well aware of the fact that it means no improvement. They just feel that everything is working well just the way it is.

The mayor issue is that they have a homemade application that noone knows how it really works. It's been in development from -95 until around 2008 and then the only programmer went into retirement.

They do not want to change anything because they do not want to take the risk involved if something breaks.

Currently my job is only to keep them alive and kicking until it's time to dismantle them... which has been a project here for about 1┬╜ years already.

A note on topic anyway.
They do have DE500 cards in the machines and since they're not upgraded I guess I can close this thread since it's a too low patch level thing.

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson
Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

dvi$_lan_link_up should be available in V7.3-2 with some not-so-recent UPDATE kit.

The work was originally done in V8.3 and backported to V7.3-2 and forward. The relevant DCL and SYS patch kits (which would be in an UPDATE kit) would be needed to use the f$getdvi variant.

That said, the DE500 cards come in three different flavours -- the -AA, -XA, and -BA.

I don't think the -AA supports the needed information to return anything useful for LAN_LINK_UP. I'm pretty sure this is documented in the system services manual.

In fact, there is the item code LAN_LINK_STATE_VALID, which should be used
***BEFORE*** you use LAN_LINK_STATE_UP.

Again, please see the documentation -- I don't want to repeat here what I wrote in the documentation.

-- Rob (who added all the LAN_* item codes some time ago)
Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

I don't think the -AA supports the needed information to return anything useful for LAN_LINK_UP. I'm pretty sure this is documented in the system services manual.

--

I was wrong; it's the -XA that doesn't support
link status. As I said, please check the documentation for sys$getdvi, where you'll get correct and more detailed information on this
stuff.

-- Rob