New Discussion юеВ

Link state in OpenVMS 7.3-2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fredrik.eriksson
Valued Contributor

Link state in OpenVMS 7.3-2

Hi,

I'm just wondering if the 7.3-2 version has something like 8.3-1?

In 8.3-1 I know you can get link state from a device via lancp (mc lancp show dev 'dev' /char).

This command works fine and all in 7.3-2 but doesn't show link state.

I've tried to figure out if there some way to find it using f$getdvi lexical but the only thing I seem to find on google (not in help!) is LAN_LINK_UP which generates a not found error.

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson
12 REPLIES 12
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Link state in OpenVMS 7.3-2

Fredrik,
Don't know about F$GETDVI, but MC LANCP definitely shows the link state under V7.3-2.
See attachment.
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Fredrik,

whether LANCP SHOW DEV/CHAR or LANCP SHOW DEV/INT shows the desired information on V7.3-2, may also depend on your VMS732_LAN-V0x00 patches installed and on the type of network card in use.

Volker.
Fredrik.eriksson
Valued Contributor

None of the above shows me the information I'm looking for... Check the attachment :)

I do have to say thou that these system has not been well cared for in quite a while so basically there is not patches to anything except for the upgrade to 7.3-2 (And the client does not want to touch these since they're supposed to be out of service within 6 months).

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

which attachment ?

Volker.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Fredrik,

$ ANAL/SYS
SDA> LAN INT

may also show the link state - again possibly depending on LAN driver patch level and network card used.

Volker.
Fredrik.eriksson
Valued Contributor

Sry, My posting last time got interrupted.. here's the attachment.

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Fredrik,
As Volker indicated, the MC LANCP SHOW DEV /CHAR command can show the "link state" on 7.3-2; but it depends on the type of network card and the patches.
For a DE500 it isn't shown, but for a DEGXA it is (both are known to VMS as EWA0; although not on the same system).
For an "i82559" on a reasonably patched system, the link state is shown; it is not on one of our systems that's legging behind in patches.
Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Frederik,

I've found a V7.3-2 system with DE500-BA, which is actually showing the Link state in LANCP SHOW DEV/INT EWB

The driver version shown is x-111 from 3-AUG-2005 (SYS$EWDRIVER_DE500BA) from VMS732_LAN-V0400.

By applying at least that patch level (including in various VMS732_UPDATE-Vnn00 kits starting with -V0500), you could be sure, that the Link State would be shown.

Volker.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Fredrik,
do explain to your client that no changes means no improvements.
I have seen this often as the system that will be gone in a few months is still there years later.