Operating System - OpenVMS
1753816 Members
8027 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Linker says "compilation warnings" when there are none on IA64

Linker says "compilation warnings" when there are none on IA64

I am building a software package on Integrity and Alpha, using HP C V7.1-005 on OpenVMS IA64 V8.2 and Compaq C V6.5-001 on OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2. Same source, same build procedures.

On IA64, there are no warnings displayed in compiling any source file. Linking the shareable image libraries produces no errors. But links of application and test programs with the shareable images reports "%ILINK-W-COMPWARN, compilation warnings" for several (not all) of the shareable libs.

On Alpha I get a clean build, including linking and linking to the same libraries.

Can anyone suggest how this might happen and what I could do to correct it?

Thanks in advance!
Sue
7 REPLIES 7
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Sue,

the %ILINK-W-COMPWARN message should include the module name and the object file name.

What does ANAL/OBJ object-file.OBJ report ?

Elf Header Information, at file address 0
VMS Completion Code: WARNING

You could also run ANAL/OBJ shareable.EXE, if the linker complains about warnings in a shareable image. You should see the same VMS Completion Code information in the image information for the .EXE file.

If the linker complains and the file it complains about shows VMS Completion Code: SUCCESS, it may be to log a call with HP.
The does not seem to be a patch for the LINKER in V8.2.

Volker.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Sue,

My first step would be to verify that there are ABSOLUTELY no object modules slipping through from an earlier set of compiles.

Also, what about the shareable library? [Do not have time to create a reproducer, but is the full compile and link of the shareable library clean also?]

Then, and only then, would I check about a LINKER bug.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Jim_McKinney
Honored Contributor

> Can anyone suggest how this might happen

Any chance that warning messages were inhibited during the compiles?

For example:

$ cc/nowarn prog.c

or

$ cc/warn=(disable=xxxx) prog.c
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> Any chance that warning messages were
> inhibited during the compiles?

I thought that an unreported problem was as
good as no problem at all, but I'm too
busy/lazy to test that right now. Did _you_
try it, or is this documented, or is this
speculation?
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

If you compile with /NOWARN, the VMS Completion Code is set to SUCCESS (as reported by ANAL/OBJ), even if there is an error in the source file, which would have been reported as a warning, if compiling without /NOWARN.

Volker.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Presuming a full review of the compile listings and the linker maps for all of the pieces here shows no errors (and presuming that this is a straight native source build and no translation is involved here), then I'd suggest upgrading to V8.2-1 or (better) V8.3 or (best) V8.3-1H1, and trying to reproduce this case there; with current tools. There have been various upgrades to C and to the linker on OpenVMS I64, and these are worth testing with -- multiple product revisions back isn't usually the best spot to initiate an escalation with HP.

x2084
Trusted Contributor

>>> "%ILINK-W-COMPWARN, compilation warnings" for several (not all) of the shareable libs.

Shareable libs? That are shareable images and they can have the %ILINK-W-COMPWARNlink status .