1752781 Members
6301 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Linux and CIFS 1.1-1 ECO 1, cannot see directory contents

Ben Armstrong
Regular Advisor

Linux and CIFS 1.1-1 ECO 1, cannot see directory contents

When I mount a VMS share using CIFS from Linux, I cannot see the contents of directories even though I can see files in those directories. Is this a misconfiguration on my part (either at the client or server) or a bug?

Here is the command I used to mount the share on the Linux system:

mount -t cifs //dyma/s /dyma/s -o user=bg,pass=xxxxxxxx,netbiosname=bgpc,uid=ben,gid=dv,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755

This command used to work for Samba 2 (JYC version) and now fails as described above.

When I use the same mount command to mount Windows shares, I can see directories.

Here is the relevant share-level configuration from the CIFS node:

[S]
comment = Application shared tree and operating system
path = /dym$disk/000000
read only = No
create mask = 0775
guest ok = Yes

Software version details:

- client:
- Debian GNU/Linux "sid"
- Linux kernel 2.6.29
- smbfs 2:3.3.4-2

- server:
- OpenVMS/Alpha V8.3
- CIFS 1.1-1 ECO 1
4 REPLIES 4
Shilpa K
Valued Contributor

Hi Ben,

Do you have the parameter "vfs objects = varvfc" added in the [global] section of the SMB.CONF file? If so, you need a latest patch set for CIFS V1.1 ECO1 to correct this issue. Otherwise, you may want to log a call with HP support. You can also check if there are any dump files in samba$root:[var.cores.smbd] and also if there is any accvio trace-back information in samba$root:[var]samba$smbd_startup.log

Regards,
Shilpa
Shilpa K
Valued Contributor

One more thing that you need to check is, whether the files/directories have READ access for the corresponding VMS user who is mapped to the CIFS/domain user "bg".

Regards,
Shilpa
Ben Armstrong
Regular Advisor

Thanks. That completely fixes the problem for me.

We were a bit surprised and confused to see this still offered as "ECO 1". I guess this is the usual practice between ECO releases to not change the name and yet keep adding material to it? It's ... somewhat less than user-friendly as the user will not know until drilling down to the files offered for download that anything has changed.
Shilpa K
Valued Contributor

Hi Ben,

The CIFS V1.1 ECO1 kit is a full PCSI kit which can be used to install CIFS. The *PSxxx* zip files that are available on hprc contain the images which include fixes made to the problems reported on ECO1. Unlike CIFS ECO and SSB kits, *PSxxx* files are not independent and they can be installed only after installing the CIFS V1.1 ECO1 or on top of the kit for which they have been released.

The *PSxxx* patch sets are cumulative in nature and the latest *PSxxx* contains all the fixes provided in the earlier *PSxxx* patch sets. The fixes that go into *PSxxx* patch sets are finally included in the next release of CIFS PCSI kit.

Hope this clarifies.
Shilpa