5092 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Local Host In TCPIP

matthew robey
Frequent Advisor

Local Host In TCPIP

Hi,

running TCPIP V5.4 - eco 2 on VMS 7.3-2 on DS25.

(We have 3 Nics, however only one is being used.)

After removing the system name and address from the local host database, the system reboots with a tcpip error about the local host.
The logical TCPIP$INET_HOST is not defined, and when I do a TCPIP sho COMM/LOCAL, the node name is blank.

I have then done a TCPIP COMM/LOCAL=, and a TCPIP SET CONF COMM/LOCAL=, howver this info is lost on the reboot.

I think that I need to 'bind' the host name to the specific interface. Anyone know how to do this, or think of another reason as to why this isn't working ?

Matt

PS I can work around the issue by putting the node name and address back into the local host file.
6 REPLIES 6
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Matt,

By default TCPIP$CONFIG.COM will enter the name of the local host and LOCALHOST= 127.0.0.1 to the local database, because the information is needed during startup prior to starting the BIND resolver.

TCPIP engineering have a wish list item (relatively low priority) to redesign the startup so that it will work correctly with no local data base. Until (if!) they implement that change, you'll need to have a minimum of the host name and LOCALHOST defined in the local host file.

> PS I can work around the issue
> by putting the node name and
> address back into the local host
> file.

Sorry, it's not workaround, that's the fix!
A crucible of informative mistakes
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Hey Matt,
where have you moved to? (email bounce) Please send me mail.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Matt,

define TCPIP$HOST sufficiently early in the boorstrap to point to your host file(in NET$LOGICALS.COM or SYLOGICALS.COM, such that it is set before TCP/IP startup), and the values in there will be used.

Cheers.

Have one on me.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hi Matt,

actually the easiest way to get it back is to re-execute tcpip$configure and bind the hostname to the NIC you want. Make sure you have the hostname both in UPPER and lower case in your local database, since some programs break if they do not get it in the case they expect.

Greetings, Martin
matthew robey
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the help guys.

I think I will just reeneter the details in the local host database.

I did try going into TCPIP$CONFIG to 'bind' a host name to the specific interface, but couldn't see where to do it.

Thanks again,

Matt
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I think what Martin ment was to define the interfaces. The IP addr of first interface defined should also define the local host