Operating System - OpenVMS
1753386 Members
6797 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Logging process creation and IP address of incoming connections?

SOLVED
Go to solution
roose
Regular Advisor

Logging process creation and IP address of incoming connections?

Hi,

I've been looking in the documentations and forum to do this but I can't seem to find the answer I am looking for, so I just have to try here:

I am seeing some increase in numbers of orphaned Oracle processes in one of our OpenVMS Oracle database server. When I say orphaned, I mean there is no longer any corresponding database session to it, and on the OS side, the process just seems to be waiting. As we are short in memory, I have to do manual killing of these processes to release my memory resources.

I am trying to trace now where and which application these processes are coming from, so what I did initially is to modify my auditing so that I can hopefully log when these processes are created, and hopefully, found out which application is starting these. See attached for the current audit configuration on this server.

I then do an analyze/audit, but unfortunately, I am still unable to see the information I want. All I can see now is that somehow the Oracle listener process is creating this as initially, process name is ORA_TNSxxx, then becomes ORA_PRODCxxx. I tried to trace back to the Oracle listener.log, but I can only assume the information based on the time that the processes is created, and the time there was a recorded connection from the listener.log file. Still no hard evidence linking the orphaned process and the listener.log login.

So, my questions are:
1. Is it possible to see through security audit who created which process?
2. If the processes are indeed started from a remote application, is it possible to log the IP address of these processes in security journal file?

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

roose,

if the Oracle listener process is creating those processes, then that's all OpenVMS auditing can tell you... You would need to find out from Oracle, if you can somehow associate those processes with remote connections to the database.

You can audit process creations with /ENABLE=PROCESS=CREATE, but that won't help you, if it's a central Oracle process that is creating all those processes.

Volker.
roose
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the reply Volker! Yes, I think we are stuck with what Oracle logging can give us here as Telnet and FTP sessions do logging enabled already.
roose
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the advise guys!