1753758 Members
4712 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Logical name timeout on OVMS8.3?

Milton Baar
Frequent Advisor

I think you are correct about the discussion on this thread. Certainly the reading and experimentation is always interesting, but there comes a point when, due to the South Pacific Peso (Australian Dollar to everyone else) and shipping, that the best solution is one that is unimplementable. So, thanks all for your help - I am off to play with DCL to see if it can identify the non-existence of an NFS share and adjust the logical names accordingly. f$getdvi doesn't help here as, strangely, a non-readable NFS share is still shown as EXISTS and AVL, so I will play with other lexicals or system calls.
Jeremy Begg
Trusted Contributor

Milton, if this is a hobbyist-licence system perhaps you should consider using MultiNet instead of TCP/IP services. In my experience, albeit somewhat biased (part of my business is providing technical support for Process Software here in Oz), MultiNet tries to do better than TCP/IP Services in most areas. (I know that's a pretty ambitious claim and I'm not going to debate it here!)

Of course changing TC/IP stacks is not a trivial exercise and I can't make any guarantee that MultiNet will give you a better result in this situation.

Regards,
Jeremy Begg
Milton Baar
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jeremy

Yes, this is the Irish Dancing site I host/run etc and this thread is the result of the email you probably received from Mark last night. I can always build a new PersonalAlpha test environment and put MultiNet on that, but then the migration on the remaining real cluster will be ......fun? Will keep it in mind as I play with DCL.
Milton Baar
Frequent Advisor

It appears that I am stretching the capabilities of something inside VMS, so I will leave well enough alone this time!