%DIRECT-E-OPENIN, error opening ALPHA$DKA0:[UTILITIES]*.*;* as input
-RMS-F-DEV, error in device name or inappropriate device type for operation

Could anybody help?
4 REPLIES 4
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Login error

Amaresh,

Apparently the (I assume) logical names DISK$APPLICATIONS and ALPHA$DKA0 do not point to valid devices (disk1) for the system.
Check the various DCL procedures (like SYLOGICALS, SYSTARTUP_VMS, SYLOGIN et alia) for those definitions and check your system for the actual devices.

Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Amaresh,

Has this worked before? If YES, what has been changed?

Without any more pertinent info, my first guess is that the defining of DISK$APPLICATIONS as ALPHA$DKA0:[UTILITIES] is invalid.
The syntax DISK$APPLICATIONS:[RS1R4] implies that DISK$APPLICATIONS should be a Concealed Device.
That definition then has to be
ALPHA$DKA0:[UTILITIES . ] /TRANS=CONCEAL
( the spaces around the dot in the syntax are for readability, they should NOT be in the definition!

-- only a first guess, without actual code it will be difficult to be sure.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Amaresh,

Background research is appropriate here. DISK$APPLICATIONS is most likely a logical name. It may be defined at a number of levels, including: cluster-wide, system-wide, group-wide, job-wide, or process-wide.

To determine precisely what is happening, start by checking the file executed when a user logs in. Generally, this is LOGIN.COM in their directory, but the actual file is controlled by their entry in the system authorization file. There is also a system wide login profile, generally located in SYS$MANAGER:SYLOGIN.COM, but this can be re-directed by a system-wide logical name.

Logical names can be created at other times, notably at system startup. That will require tracing the flow of what happens when the system is started. Before doing that, looking carefully at the system and various group logical name tables is advised.

Also, is this problem limited to a single account, or is it occurring on a number of accounts.

Reading background like the Programming Concepts manuals, and my series of articles on logical names on OpenVMS.org is also advised.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Steve Reece_3
Trusted Contributor

As Bob says, look at your LOGIN.COM and at the SYLOGIN.COM or whatever is being defined by SYS$SYLOGIN as this will be run when anyone logs in.
It may also be something pointed to by the LGICMD parameter that's set in your entry in the SYSUAF.

Does DISK$APPLICATIONS exist?
Is that DKA0:
Is the allocation class set to zero (hence ALPHA$DKA0:)?

Steve