Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost files in a directory

Martin West_1
Occasional Contributor

Lost files in a directory

Hi
After running Disk File Optimizer (2.8), one of my programs stopped working.
"error opening XXX as input XXX file not found"
And yes, this file and a few others in the same directory were gone.
Analyze/disk told me that I had problem with a directory file "ANALDISK-W-BAD_NAMEORDER" and a few "ANALDISK-W-LOSTHEADER" files.
Can this be a problem with DFO 2.8?
I have not experienced any problems when running DFO on this disk before.
I'm running VMS 7.2-2 and ODS-5, It's not the system disk.

Martin
2 REPLIES
Dima Bessonov
Frequent Advisor

Re: Lost files in a directory

Martin,
It's generally recommended to run a defragmenter on a disk with valid file structure, i.e. one should run ANALYZE/DISK/REPAIR first and only then DEFRAGMENT VOLUME. Otherwise, the problems like you've experienced can happen. The best way, imho, is to run ANALYZE/DISK in the prologue command file of every DFO script you define. As for your lost file, I understand you've already tried ANALYZE/DISK/REPAIR, to no avail. Other than restoring from the backup (if such exists), probably nothing else to do...
Martin West_1
Occasional Contributor

Re: Lost files in a directory

Hi
Two hours before running DFO I ran analyze/disk and there were no problems then. But, ok, there could have happened someting strange in these two hours.
I think your tip to run analyze/disk in the prologue command file is a good piece of advice!
After set file/nodirectory, delete of the (former) directory file and analyze/disk/repair, I managed to find all my files in the syslost directory. :-)

But I still wonder why it happened in the first place? I have never had any problems like this before uppgrading to DFO 2.8 (from 2.7)

Martin