Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOUNT-F-INVALIDSCB

SOLVED
Go to solution
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

MOUNT-F-INVALIDSCB

In preparation of installing patches, I did an image backup of my system disk (while logged in). After I lost connection, the process continued executing the backup, and it disappeared when done (I checked before reboot).

Now I want to retrieve some files from that backup disk but I'm not able to MOUNT it:

$ mount/over=id $116$dka103
%MOUNT-F-INVALIDSCB, I/O error with storage control block on relative volume 1,
location 6

The disk can be mounted /FOREIGN; the HSZ-50 controller doesn't tell of any error.

What does the error mean and how can I get to this disk's contents?

(Reboot is not a real problem at the moment)

Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
3 REPLIES
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Re: MOUNT-F-INVALIDSCB

VMS 8.3, patched up-to-date (except last one). HSZ50 firmware V57Z (00)

Willem Grooters
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

The BACKUP didn't complete, and that's the expected error for that case.

"A MOUNT command on a disk that was the target of a failed BACKUP restore operation does not fail, as it should. With the change included in this kit, MOUNT will now fail with a %MOUNT-F-INVALIDSCB error."

An older OpenVMS release might be willing to mount this disk, but I don't know of a way to get at this disk (other than with brute-force techniques) with a more recent release.

A trip through the source listings should turn up a way to patch the disk to get past the validation check to recover the disk, if this is important enough. The DISKBLOCK tool might be useful here, and Jur's most excellent LD can potentially be used to trace I/O activity:

http://64.223.189.234/node/1127

Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Good to know for next time.
I looked through the docs and didn't find this note - somewhere in realease-notes, perhaps?
Willem Grooters