Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - OpenVMS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail to and from OpenVMS

Piet Timmers_1
Frequent Advisor

Mail to and from OpenVMS

Hi everybody,

My knowledge is inadequate, so i ask it here.

I have an OpenVMS system (Alpha V8.3) at home connected to a cabel router/modem, and so to the internet.

Also a domain is registered and the ip-adres is set to my cable modem ip-adres.

So FTP to OpenVMS form anywhere on the net is no problem.

What do i have to configure to make it possible to send mail to, and mail from my OpenVMS node.

At the moment when i want to sent a mail form my node to a smtp adres, i get a destination unknow.

Is there a place on the internet where i can learn more about these settings.

Thanks

Piet

5 REPLIES
Jansen_8
Regular Advisor

Re: Mail to and from OpenVMS

Basically you have to configure the SMTP protocol within your TCP/IP package (which one are you using?

Also check if IP-port 25 is not blocked for incoming and outgoing trafic.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Piet Timmers_1
Frequent Advisor

Ok, to little information given.

Greetings,

Piet

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Piet, consider enabling SMTP debug: $ DEFINE/SYSTEM tcpip$smtp_log_level 5 $ TCPIP STOP MAIL $ TCPIP START MAIL Then send your mail and look at SYS$SPECIFIC:[TCPIP$SMTP]TCPIP$SMTP_LOGFILE.LOG Don't forget to deassign the logical and restart mail, if done with debugging. Volker.
Highlighted
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor