Re: Mailforward to Lotus Notes

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Kirsten,
Dumb questions...

What happens if you send a message to the target address?

Does forwarding to any external address fail, or just lotus notes addresses?
A crucible of informative mistakes
Peter Quodling
Trusted Contributor

My previous experience of interfacing with Lotus notes, was that it had it's own unique interpretation of the RFC's on mail handling... (We would forward mail, via several intermediary machines - the end (lotus) machine, would reject for some reason I like message too large, but rather than rejecting the smtp from the machine that had just passed it a message, it rejected all the way back to the Originating VMS box. Which, would politely keep a log, and attempt a resend. Because of one overly large email message, we ended up with several hundred queued messages, and a couple of gig of disk eaten in the process (of course, mail gateways, are store and forward) so are never configured with a lot of disk...

q
Leave the Money on the Fridge.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Kirsten,

from looking at some pages found in google when searching for '%TCPIP-E-SMTP_NOSUCHUSER', this error message may be quite generic and may indicate that the receiving SMTP server has rejected the message due to anti-spam mechanisms.

The from address resulting from a forwarded mail addressed using vmsmachine::user may at least look 'unusual' for a non-VMS SMTP server (othernode::otheruser@vmsmachine.domain)

Volker.
Kirsten Kn├╝ttel
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

John, your mail has arrived.

Thanks for the test.

Regards,

Kirsten
Kirsten Kn├╝ttel
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Volker:
I've now traced the SMTP and I've attached the output.
The main message is: Relaying is prohibited
I've looked in the configuration and I've tried mailing with the option RELAY and with NORELAY and the effect is both time the same (I've restarted SMTP after changing the configuration). The mails are returning.

Regards,

Kirsten
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Kirsten,

I'm not an anti-spam expert, but I believe your SMTP server fiespexi0002 (not your VMS system) is configured to NOT relay SMTP messages.

The RCPT address is different from your local host name - this seems to be the problem.

Does the trace look any different, if you send mail to VMSUSER locally (from the same VMS node) - which is what you claim is working.

Volker.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Kirsten,

>John, your mail has arrived.
>Thanks for the test.

Send from VMSMAIL on a system running OpenVMS V7.3-2. I SET FORWARD to your email address and sent the message to myself.

If it arrived, that proves it's not a VMSMAIL issue.

Check your logical name TCPIP$SMTP_FROM if it's set to an address other than your "real" address, some systems may think you're spoofing and will reject the mail.

Try changing your forwarding address to send to me. (johngillingshpcom) I'll see if there's anything unusual in the headers.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Kirsten Kn├╝ttel
Frequent Advisor

John, I think too, that this is not an OpenVMS problem. I would think so if all mails are returning. But here, the mails I send to KNUETTEL are forwarded to Lotus and the mails I send to SELLA2::KNUETTEL are returning.
And there are some other funny things: there are days, like today, both ways don't function. The mails from the night arrived, and at the moment, nothing happens. When I can send mails (I hope next monday) I will trace again the way that is O.K..
Perhaps there is a problem between the Exchange Server and the Lotus Notes, nobody knows.

regards,

Kirsten
Kirsten Kn├╝ttel
Frequent Advisor

Hi all,

Thanks for your help. The mail forwarding is still very strange. I've heard today, that some weeks ago somebody has installed a Spam mail guard on the 1st mailserver. So I think there is my problem.
But I've learned much about mail and I've found a solution: the node SELLA2 is a POP-Server and now I configured my lotus that it fetches the mail from the pop server. And this helps.

Regards,

Kirsten