108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Maximum Directory Entries

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Maximum Directory Entries

I know there's a maximum number of files you can put on a disk (SHOW DEV x /FULL), but does anyone know if there is a limit on the maximum number of entries in a directory, and how this is calculated?

Cheers, Rob.
50 REPLIES 50
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Rob,
I don't think there is any such limit...in directory...i have never come across this in my stint in VMS

The only limit on files is on the disk and that is " Maximum files allowed" when you do a sh dev/full

regards
Mobeen
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

the max number of files is related to the /maximum_files and the /header qualifiers of the $ initialize command

I think that a directory, IF Vms has enough room to increase the size of a directory file while being contiguous, does not have a short limit.

See help/message diralloc

You have had this error message recently ?
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

max number of files in a directory is usually limited by finding enough contiguous space for the directory file. Large directories are inefficent to access.

Is there a problem you are trying to solve?

Nope.

But I do have an appliction, WebReports, that writes all the PDF's to a single directory.

We've only just started rolling it out and there's already 10,000 files in there!

Obviously, for performance reasons, I'm going to have to start breaking this up, but I didn't want to be caught out before getting round to it.

Rob.
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Rob,
I am sure you would have heard of these too..

Version Limits on files

/MAXIMUM_FILES in init

Since i don't see any option for this while creating a directory, i am assuming that it may not be present (CREATE?DIR)

I would love to see what other people think on these forums.

regards
Mobeen
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Wim,
Thanks for that link :-)

Looks like so far the answers to this question have been in & around whats been discussed in the link posted by you

regards
Mobeen
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Sounds uncomfortable :-)
You may find DFU (V3.0) DIRECTORY commands useful

I started a test.

But I noticed that create fails when someone does a EVE of the directory. Old sickness of VMS ... other threat ...

I'll keep you informed

Wim
Wim