6139 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Memory leak

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Wim,

some things in this story do not add up in MY logic. (But then, in yours neither, I guess).

So, this app is (a. o.) processing NYSE transactions for ING bank, right?

Well, all is well then, I believe.

Only yesterday ING had to get an emergency state loan of just EUR 10 G (about USD 13 G, ie, $13.000.000.000)
A loan at a, well, "friendly" intrest of ___ 8.5 ___ % !!! ( if non-official publications hold some truth)

HOW can your management rhyme this to __NOT__ doing everything necessary to get the software right, AND AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE???

Can you explain to someone in accountancy that repairing this will cost MUCH less than even ONE day of interest on that loan alone?

If _I_ were a shareholder, I would publicly declare this an unparallelled case of mismanagement, which calls for IMMEDIATE curative action.....

Just a thought though.

And yes, ING is alsothe bank that processes MY salary.

In spite everything, anyhow:

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Wim,

the fact, that the process only has ONE thread does not mean, that it can't be using DECthreads (pthreads).

Only if SDA> PTHREAD VM returns

Process "xxx" (PID ppp) is not threaded

then you know, that pthreads is not in use.

Volker.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Volker,

Then it's using pthreads. I think the program is capable of threads but not using it (just tried sda commands during heavy activity). It has a channel to pthread$rtl in show proc/chan.

Wim
Wim
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Wim,

then what does SDA> PTHREAD VM report ?

Any lookaside list with lots of packets ?

Volker.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Process name: FOE_RGS_SRV Extended PID: 22BD7166 Thread data: "vm"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
lookaside 0 (112 bytes; rwb, cvb, mub) 1 in use, 0 free
lookaside 1 (2120 bytes; cv-meter) 0 in use, 0 free
lookaside 2 (3184 bytes; mu-meter) 0 in use, 0 free
Wim
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Wim,

o.k. - not a memory leak in pthreads.

You could use SDA> SHOW PROC/PHD to look at which VA address space is increasing (P0 or P1). Then use SDA to just dump the most recent ;1000 bytes and look for patterns.

Volker.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I did something like that yesterday. Found some patern in it and gave the conclusions to the developper.

Who will probably do nothing with it because we only have 2% of 2006 activity left and his bos says it will be finished by year end.

Wim
Wim
GuentherF
Trusted Contributor

Sorry, it's me slow again.

Consuming what type of memory: physical or virtual?

What is the error message/status when the application/process fails?

What about this "process tree"?

If it is virtual memory - and the error message would tell - then a purge workingset does nothing here. If processes run in a a job tree then they have to share certain quotas like PGFLQUOTA comes to mind. Same amount of processes per job?

I may have missed some of this information in an earlier reply.

/Guenther
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Gunther,

Consuming what type of memory: physical or virtual?
- Virtual

What is the error message/status when the application/process fails?
- none. Hang of the proces

What about this "process tree"?
- a master process creationg about 10 sons. Normally memory consumtion is stable at 43% of 3Mpages.

If it is virtual memory - and the error message would tell - then a purge workingset does nothing here. If processes run in a a job tree then they have to share certain quotas like PGFLQUOTA comes to mind. Same amount of processes per job?
- yes I thought that too. It's PGFLQ that is the limiting factor. Increasing the PGFLQ is no solution because it's gone within minutes
(found interprocess traffic of about 10 GB per hour, it's about at this speed that memory is going.

I may have missed some of this information in an earlier reply.

- no problem.

Yesterday I moved the priority from 6 to 15 and didn't have the problem. But may be the markets are just quieter.

Wim
(BTW : Jan : the transactions are no longer done on VMS. Only a few M bucks left)
Wim
GuentherF
Trusted Contributor

Wim,

that sounds like the application tries something smart - handling the exceeded pagefile quota by wait-and-retry.

So you increased the accounts PGFLQUOTA and the size/number of pagefiles?

There is a good chance that the application is doing expand P0 region and leaving unused virtual memory blocks behind. Maybe it is just a couple of virtual memory pages away from being happy? I would like to see the processes exhaust P0 space.

Time to let someone who knows the code look at it (open files, channels in use, application logs, exam to VA memory).

/Guenther