Operating System - OpenVMS
1753936 Members
9631 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Microvax 3300 to PC data transfer & LA210 printer cable

Robert Nathan_2

Microvax 3300 to PC data transfer & LA210 printer cable

I have a microvax 3300 and would like to transfer data from a vms database to flat file (ASCII) and then to a media which is MS DOS or Microsoft windows readable. How do i do this?

2) Alternatively, I would like to print to a LA210 Letterprinter. Unfortunately, the printer cable is lost. Where can I get a suitable printer cable.

Thanks for your help.
Bob
9 REPLIES 9
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Do you have a TCPIP/UCX license or a NAS (network access) on the MicroVAX? How about a Pathworks License?

$SHOW LICENSE

You could use Kermit/C-Kermit to move the ascii file to a PC or another system, see http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/

Do you have a tape drive on MicroVAX? You can write tape that another system could read assuming it has a comparable tape drive.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Robert Nathan_2

Thanks Andy. I will check for the tcp/ip pathworks license. I doubt it would have one. Kermit seems to be a good idea. Only, I would have to connect the pc/laptop via serial cable, right?)

I dont know if I can find another tape drive to read that tape (CompacTape II). I hesitate to take out the tape drive out of the current system.

Regards,
Bob
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

A recent system with a DLT III or DLT IV should be able to read the tape.

I've used Kermit more than once to get another protocol up and running. You do need a serial cable and depending on cabling may be able to set the PC up as the console. Some earlier VMS systems would crash if you unplugged the console cable, look out for this.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Robert Nathan_2

Thanks Andy. You're a good friend.

I'll look for a DLT II or III tape drive, that'll read the tape. Thanks for warning about Kermit crashing the system.

Do you know where I can get a cable for the LA210 Letterprinter. The client wants a hardcopy too, but somebody stole the printer cable.

Bob
Peter Quodling
Trusted Contributor

LA210 should be a standard serial cable unless it has the LA10X-EP Parallel option in it. What does the connector look like....

q
Leave the Money on the Fridge.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Bob,
pleased to meet you and Welcome to VMS forum.

I used microvax 3100 and 3300 before tcp/ip and pathwork era.
To exchange data from mvax and pc I always used Kermit.
After installed kermit on mvax you can transfer file as follow:
- Open a session with serial (OPA0 or TX* port); on PC side use pckermit to connect via local serial port
- Run kermit in server mode
- With PC kermit use GET or PUT command.

I used kermit also with lat connection. In this case you need to pathwork32 on pc client. PowerTerm of pathwor32 has kermit command inside on lat transport.

For cable connection, tell me what kind of serial connector you have (DB9, DB25 or MMJ).

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Bob,
I forgot.
If you have pathwork32 on pc box, you can also use decnet transport and NFT (or somethink like it) to transfer files.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Nathan,

I recently reviewed file transfer options in "ftp and sneakernet are not your only options" on OpenVMS.org (see http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=05/07/09/1298233).

For cabling between a PC COM port and the RS-232 or MMJ connectors on the back of a MicroVAX, you will need two things:
- an adapter (25 pin "D" to 9 pin "D" is readily available; MMJ to either "D" type is available from a variety of sources online, but is not likely to be found in your neighborhood store); and
- a reversal from DCE (Data Communications Equipment) to DTE (Data Terminal Equipment) -- aka a "Null Modem" to interchange the transmit and receive signals.

Versions of C-Kermit are available from http://columbia.edu.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

>>>warning about Kermit crashing the system.

I meant to state, if you unplug the console your system may crash on some models. To connect a PC as the console use

@sys$system:shutdown

once you have the ">>>" prompt you can replace the console with a PC and use Kermit for file transfer.

Andy