Operating System - OpenVMS
1753971 Members
8576 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Migrating BASIC programs from VAX 810ft to Alpha DS20

Migrating BASIC programs from VAX 810ft to Alpha DS20

hello. i have BASIC programs previously running under VMS 6.2 on a VAX 810. i upgraded the OS of the VAX 810 to VMS 7.2. when i run these programs from the VAX 810 under VMS 7.2, there's no problem.

i tried to migrate these BASIC programs to the DS20 running in VMS 7.2. but when i run these programs in the DS20, i encounter irreplicable errors in the output.

do i need a conversion tool to make it run properly? do i need a new OLB (object library) and then re-compile it?
4 REPLIES 4
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Hi Tito,

Basically engineering has tried to give us "source compatibility" between VMS on VAX, VMS on Alpha, and VMS on Itanium.
But all three architectures have their own "features".

You should compile your Basic sources, and link your programs on the Alpha, and then of course test them.
Migrating from a VAX environment to an Alpha environment isn't that complicated, but can be time consuming.

Unfortunately, I cannot connect to the HP VMS site (at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/) right now. But there you can find documentation on how to migrate your apps from VMS on VAX to VMS on Alpha.

Kris.
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Tito,

You have two ways to migrate programs from VAX to Alpha.
1) If you have all sources, recompile them on the Alpha (this is the best way).
2) Use VEST which translates VAX exe programs to Alpha exe. (to be used when you have not all sources)

Bojan
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Tito,

The HP VMS site seems to be up again (although terribly slow).

Here's the link to the doc:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/72final/6459/6459PRO.HTML

Kris.

I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
David B Sneddon
Honored Contributor

Tito,

You say you get errors when you RUN the programs.
Can we presume that they compile OK?
I have moved BASIC code from VAX to Alpha and
also to Itanium with minimum effort.
Recompile, relink and run.
Exactly what errors are you getting?

Regards
Dave