6274 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Migrating TCPIP$PRINTCAP.DAT?

roose
Regular Advisor

Migrating TCPIP$PRINTCAP.DAT?

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to migrate my printer queues from one node to another using the TCPIP$PRINTCAP.DAT file? I have tried to copy the this file from my Alpha server to our Itanium server, modified the printer data inside with the correct node names, restarted LPD then re-create the printer queue but I can't seem to make it work:

SYSTEM_S1PT01::> sho que S1PT01$XEROXDC450_ITA2/fu
Server queue S1PT01$XEROXDC450_ITA2, idle, on S1PT01::XEROXDC450_ITA2, mounted form DEFAULT
/BASE_PRIORITY=4 /DEFAULT=(FEED,FLAG,FORM=DEFAULT) /LIBRARY=HP_DEVCTL Lowercase /OWNER=[SYSTEM] /PROCESSOR=TCPIP$LPD_SMB
/PROTECTION=(S:M,O:D,G:R,W:S) /RETAIN=ERROR
SYSTEM_S1PT01::> print /que= S1PT01$XEROXDC450_ITA2 sys$manager:systartup_vms.com
Job SYSTARTUP_VMS (queue S1PT01$XEROXDC450_ITA2, entry 12) started on S1PT01$XEROXDC450_ITA2
SYSTEM_S1PT01::> sho que S1PT01$XEROXDC450_ITA2/fu
Server queue S1PT01$XEROXDC450_ITA2, idle, on S1PT01::XEROXDC450_ITA2, mounted form DEFAULT
/BASE_PRIORITY=4 /DEFAULT=(FEED,FLAG,FORM=DEFAULT) /LIBRARY=HP_DEVCTL Lowercase /OWNER=[SYSTEM] /PROCESSOR=TCPIP$LPD_SMB
/PROTECTION=(S:M,O:D,G:R,W:S) /RETAIN=ERROR

Entry Jobname Username Blocks Status
----- ------- -------- ------ ------
12 SYSTARTUP_VMS SYSTEM 33 Retained on error
%NONAME-F-NOMSG, Message number 0764A00C
Submitted 13-JUN-2011 11:21:09.65 /FORM=DEFAULT /PRIORITY=100
File: _$1$DGA0:[VMS$COMMON.SYSMGR]SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM;15
Completed 13-JUN-2011 11:21:09.65 on queue S1PT01$XEROXDC450_ITA2
SYSTEM_S1PT01::>

With a number of printers to migrate, any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

The error

%TCPIP-F-LPD_NOSPOOLDIR, error is spool directory !AS

indicates a wrong or missing spool directory.
Does changing the queue node name also mean the tcpip$lpd directory is on a different system disk ?
Usually the directory inside
TCPIP$PRINTCAP.DAT is specified like
:sd=/SYS$SPECIFIC/TCPIP$LPD/queuename:
(also for the .log directory).
If printcap is not created/changed using the lpd setup tool, then You have to create the directories on the new disk by hand.
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
roose
Regular Advisor

Joseph,

Yes, I have initially created some queues using TCPIP$LPRSETUP.EXE to test whether I am able to print from the new nodes, and has been successful. So the directory is already created. It is only when I try to copy the PRINTCAP.DAT file from the other node, and after editing it with the correct node (new) node name, I am getting this problem.

I wonder whether it is due to how I initialized my new queues, because when using LPRSETUP, it automatically create the printer queue as well?
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

But the error clearly points to the spool directory missing or inaccessible.
Check again if the directory is really existing, and it's ownership+protection is o.k.
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
EdgarZamora_1
Respected Contributor

Typically each print queue has a spool subdirectory under the main lpd directory (sys$specific:[tcpip$lpd]). If you don't want to manually create each subdirectory your best bet is to backup the *.dir files from the original system and restore these directories to the destination system where you copied your printcap file to.

example:

from original system...

$ set def sys$specific:[tcpip$lpd]
$ backup *.dir []spool_dirs.bck/save

then transfer this saveset to the destination system and restore it to recreate the directories...

$ set def sys$specific:[tcpip$lpd]
$ backup spool_dirs.bck/sav [] /by=orig

something like that.... hope that helps.