New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mirroring the system drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Mirroring the system drive

Greetings,

I just realized that my system drive (sysdisk) is a JBAUD device. Is there a way to mirror this drive after the fact or I have to recreate the mirror from the getgo? My openVMS version is currently at 7.3-2 - I have multiple controllers setup to talk to this server, which they are HSG70 & HSG80.

Please provide your advice.

Thank you in advance.

Jorge

sho dev /full $10$DKA600:

Disk $10$DKA600: (Bears), device type DEC RZ1DF-CB, is online, mounted, file-
oriented device, shareable, available to cluster, error logging is enabled.

Error count 0 Operations completed 18476655
Owner process "" Owner UIC [SYSTEM]
Owner process ID 00000000 Dev Prot S:RWPL,O:RWPL,G:R,W
Reference count 868 Default buffer size 512
Current preferred CPU Id 3 Fastpath 1
Total blocks 17773524 Sectors per track 168
Total cylinders 5290 Tracks per cylinder 20
Logical Volume Size 17769177 Expansion Size Limit 18505728
Allocation class 10

Volume label "SYSDISK" Relative volume number 0
Cluster size 18 Transaction count 616
Free blocks 6986700 Maximum files allowed 467698
Extend quantity 5 Mount count 1
Mount status System Cache name "_$10$DKA600:XQPCACHE"
Extent cache size 64 Maximum blocks in extent cache 698670
File ID cache size 64 Blocks in extent cache 38502
Quota cache size 0 Maximum buffers in FCP cache 4270
Volume owner UIC [1,1] Vol Prot S:RWCD,O:RWCD,G:RWCD,W:RWCD

Volume Status: ODS-5, subject to mount verification, protected subsystems
enabled, write-through caching enabled.

14 REPLIES 14
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Sorry about douplicate posting due to internet glitch.

Jorge
Thomas Ritter
Respected Contributor
Solution

Jorge, you change two sysgen parameters and reboot. You will end up with a single member shadow set. And it is reversible.

From our test host where sys$sysdevice is
Name Status Count Label Space Count Cnt
DSA1: Mounted 0 TEST$SYS 3.12GB 3426 1
$1$DKA0: (TEST) ShadowSetMember 0 (member of DSA1:)
$1$DKA100: (TEST) ShadowSetMember 0 (member of DSA1:)

The system parameters required are
SHADOWING 2 0 0 2 Coded-valu
SHADOW_SYS_UNIT 1 0 0 9999 Unit
Thomas Ritter
Respected Contributor

Forgot one.
SHADOW_SYS_DISK 1

From sysgen help execute
SYS_PARAMETERS Subtopic? SHADOW_SYS_DISK

SYS_PARAMETERS

SHADOW_SYS_DISK

A SHADOW_SYS_DISK parameter value of 1 enables shadowing of the
system disk. A value of 0 disables shadowing of the system disk.
The default value is 0.

Also specify a system disk shadow set virtual unit number with
the SHADOW_SYS_UNIT system parameter, unless the desired system
disk unit number is DSA0.

To enable minimerge on a system disk, add the value 4096 to
your existing SHADOW_SYS_DISK value. For example, if you have
SHADOW_SYS_DISK set to a value of 1, change it to 4097 to enable
minimerge. Also, be sure to set the DUMPSTYLE parameter to dump
off system disk, as described in the HP OpenVMS System Manager's
Manual.

Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Thomas,

Thanks for your response. However, this is a bit beyond me at this point. I need more step by step instructions. Otherwise, I might have to call HP support for an assistance.

Jorge
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Jorge,

Are you intending to use controller based mirrorsets, or host based volume shadowing?

Each has advantages and disadvantages.

If host based, you will need to reboot. If you are using a quorum disk, and it is the system disk, you will have to move it to a non-HBVS disk (but it can be on a controller based mirrorset)

I have no experience with HSG80 or HSG70 (in fact I didn't know there was such a thing as a HSG70). We have an HSZ70 (SCSCI host interface) and the drives show up as DK units like the one you listed. I would expect HSG80 devices to show up like $1$DGAxxx devices on VMS.

As long as you have the HSx mirroring license on your controller, you can convert a unit from a disk device to a mirrorset using the HSOF command:

HSZ> mirror disk-name mirrorset-name

I think the disk has to have a unit associated with it. A device can be converted to a single member mirrorset while VMS has the device mounted. In one "atomic" operation, the unit is disassociated with the disk, and associated with the mirrorset, and the disk is now the only member of the mirrror set. In this respect it is much more transparent to VMS than host based shadowset are. No reboot needed, VMS version independent (as long as the HSx is supported), nothing special needs to be done when upgrading the OS, no restrictions on quorum or DOSD, etc,

After the single member mirror is there, you can set the copy policy to none (so you can specify which device you want to be paired with the original mirrorset member, chose a disk on a different port and different shelf if possible). Then set the mirrorset member=2, the set mirrorset rep=second_disk and the copy will start. The (if you have a spareset, set copy policy so it can be automatically repaired if one of the members fails).

If you were planning to use HBVS, a reboot will be required, and if it is a shared system disks, all nodes booting from it will need to have their sysgen parameters changed and they will need to be shutdown/rebooted as well.

Off the top of my head, the following steps need to be done.

1. Have VOLSHAD license loaded and node name specified with the PAK.
2. Have sysgen parameters set in "CURRENT" (non-volatile "startup" parameters) See previous note about what those sysgen parameters are. NOTE: I would recommend creating an AGEN_SHADOW_COMMON_MODPARAMS.DAT file in sys$common:[SYSEXE] and adding a line with

AGEN$INCLUDE_PARAMS SYS$COMMON:[SYSEXE]AGEN_SHADOW_COMMON_MODPARAMS.DAT

in each of your SYS$SPECIFIC:[SYSEXE]MODPARAMS.DAT files.

The on each of your nodes using the common system disk:

$ @sys$update:autogen SAVPARAMS setparams ! if you want to new feedback to be included

or

@sys$update:autogen GETDATA setparams ! if you want to use recently saved autogen feedback

Then shutdown all nodes using the common system disk using the remove_node option, and then reboot them.
it depends
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Jorge,

If you are looking for a step by step guide, have you considered consulting the system documentation?

A summary of the required steps is in the system install/upgrade guide under upgrading a shadowed system disk.

Also Chapter 3 of HP Volume Shadowing for OpenVMS "Preparing to Use Volume Shadowing".

The above documentation is all available in PDF format from the VMS documentation site (link at bottom of OpenVMS ITRC forum page.)

If you really mean HSx controller based mirroring, then the above is irrelevant, you should be looking for the HSOF documentation.
it depends
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Jon,

I meant to say HSZ70 and HSG80. We do currently have shadowing license for our environment. Also, I am planning on using controller based mirrorsets.

Since I have the System disk on the DKA, therefore, I will be using DKD for my mirrorsets.

Would you be kind enough to walk me through this process?

Regards,
Jorge

Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

Since you have a VOLSHAD license I would suggest the local Shadow disk.

Then setup another disk on the HSG80 as a mirror disk. Make that Mirror become the second member of the shadow set.

Find out what shadow devices are currnently using as unit numbers
$ show dev ds

Determine which of those are NOT in use.
Making an assumption you are NOT using the DSA50 device.
$ edit sys$sysroot:[sysexe]modparams.dat
Find anything with Shad in the name. Change those lines to be these - or add these lines. Make sure there are NOT duplicate entries for these values.
SHADOW_SYS_DISK=1
SHADOW_SYS_UNIT=50

Autogen and reboot your system. Remember to schedule with you customer/users the reboot time.
$ @sys$update:autogen savparams genparams feedback

Review the values that the autogen created.
$ type/page SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSEXE]AGEN$PARAMS.REPORT

Now if everything is looking good on that report (thats where knowing your system and values come in) you will reboot the system.
$ @sys$update:autogen reboot

When the system comes up your system disk will be DSA50 if you used the values specified.
Check out the device.
$ show dev /full dsa50

On your HSG80 or HSZ70 disk controller create another disk that is the same size as your current system disk with mirror set and assign it to be DKD400. Going to assume the device is DKD400 and the control allocation number is 7 (pulling numbers out of the air).
Determine the real allocation number of your disk controller and replace it where I assumed the allocation class of 7.

Once that disk is created and visible by the system you will want to mount it as a second shadow member.

$ mount/system /shadow=($7$DKD400:) DSA50 SYSDISK SYSDISK

You can use all kinds of qualifiers with the mount statement. We normally have the statement of "mount/system/norebuild/noassist/win=30". Read up on those and find what works best for you.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Jorge,

Peter gave good advise.

I would make ONE amendment, however (you could have concluded it already from a previous answer)
>>>
SHADOW_SYS_DISK=1
<<<
You will surely want to eneable HBMM (HostBasedMiniMerge), so, add 4096:

SHADOW_SYS_DISK=4097

Success!

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.