New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mixed version cluster + TCP/IP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

Aaron,

During our upgrade of OpenVMS from 7.1 to 7.2 whe ran also during (a very lang unwanted time because there whas a bug in VMS) several months difference IP on one cluster. Whe have used logicals to redirect all the configuration files on one disk (old and new). So depending on the VMS version the where using the one or the other system disk and IP is installed on them, but all the configurationfiles are on one disk. So the PROXY etc. files where only 1 present. So the new and old version used the same configfile.
Only problems are possible by using V4.x and V5.x files mixed.

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
Aaron Sakovich
Super Advisor

Wow, thanks folks. I'm getting the distinct impression that 5.1 is my best hope for 7.1-2. But I'd still like something concrete indicating that 5.{1|2|3|4} is supported on 7.1-2. Is there someplace where I can find archived SPDs?

As far as keeping stuff clearly separated, we've been doing that for years. We have run multiple versions in the same cluster before (most recently rolling from 6.2-1H3 to 7.1-2), so this is nothing new to us.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of incompatibilities between 7.1-2 and 7.2 and 7.3(-2) that should be avoided in a rolling upgrade? I know that there are many references scattered throughout the various release notes and new features guides, but it would be very helpful if someone already has a consolidated list.

Thanks a bunch,
Aaron
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Aaron,

UCX V4.2 was current at the time of OpenVMS Alpha V7.1-2.

The V7.1-2 cover letter refers to UCX V4.2:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/asktima/operating_systems/CHAMP_SRC981228003453.html

The 'V7.1-2 need to install article' refers to TCPIP V5.0A ECO 1, which would indicate V5.0A is o.k.:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/asktima/operating_systems/CHAMP_SRC990614004277.html

V5.0A ECO 3 lists V7.1 up to V7.2-1H1 as 'supported' - at the time of the release of that ECO !

V5.1 ECO 5 lists V7.2-1 up to V7.3 as supported.

It's a nightmare...

Volker.
Aaron Sakovich
Super Advisor

Volker,

You win! Unfortunately, the answer means I lose...

Aw, what the heck -- I'm running unsupported anyways -- why not just run 5.4 on it!?!? (Just kidding...) I was really hoping to at least get 5.1 going, but 5.0A will obviously have to suffice.

Thanks to all for your time and effort to help -- it's greatly appreciated!

Best,
Aaron
Lawrence Czlapinski
Trusted Contributor

John, I must also disagree. We can recommend and gently prod our customers toward upgrading to new versions of OS. We can do patches but the customer decides whether we can upgrade the OS. This has to do with the possibility of breaking something that works. It takes customer manpower to relink, retest and make all the non-HP legacy applications work on newer versions. The customer priorities the application work.
Our customer has migrated some clusters from VAX clusters to Alpha/VAX. We have migrated all our production systems to VMS 7.3 variants. However, 4 of our 22 VMS systems at two sites are still 7.1 variants. We still have to live with one 7.1x cluster. We also have 1 mixed version cluster, Alpha 7.1x/VAX 7.3.
Lawrence
Lawrence
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Aaron,

another thing that you can always try is looking at the PDF (Product Description File) of the TCPIP .PCSI kit you would like to install:

$ PRODUCT EXTRACT PDF TCPIP /SOURCE=dev:

$ SEARCH *TCPIP*.PCSI$DESCRIPTION software

You'll find a line like this:

software DEC AXPVMS VMS version minimum V7.2 ;

which would then tell you, that you can't even install it on a version prior to V7.2

Volker.
Aaron Sakovich
Super Advisor

Wahoo! Way to go Volker! I just checked a 5.1 eco kit I had stored on my system and found that it supports 7.1! (Or rather, OpenVMS Alpha v7.1 supports v5.1 eco 5.)

I'm off to start digging through my CDs to see what else I can learn. Excellent tip!

Aaron
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Aaron,

I just checked a 5.1 eco kit I had stored on my system and found that it supports 7.1! (Or rather, OpenVMS Alpha v7.1 supports v5.1 eco 5.)

The line from the TCPIP_ECO PDF file:

software DEC AXPVMS VMS version minimum V7.1 ;

says, that TCPIP V5.1 ECO 5 will NOT install, unless OpenVMS Alpha is at least at V7.1 (or higher).

The 'software' statements in a .PSCI$DESCRIPTION file allow the product to check for REQUIRED software prior to the actual isntallation of the new files.

Volker.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Aaron,

From your Forum Profile:

I have assigned points to 14 of 31 responses to my questions.

Maybe you can find some time to do some assigning?

Mind, I do NOT say you necessarily need to give lots of points. It is fully up to _YOU_ to decide how many. If you consider an answer is not deserving any points, you can also assign 0 ( = zero ) points, and then that answer will no longer be counted as unassigned.
Consider, that every poster took at least the trouble of posting for you!

To easily find your streams with unassigned points, click your own name somewhere.
This will bring up your profile.
Near the bottom of that page, under the caption ├в My Question(s)├в you will find ├в questions or topics with unassigned points ├в Clicking that will give all, and only, your questions that still have unassigned postings.

Thanks on behalf of your Forum colleagues.

PS. ├в nothing personal in this. I try to post it to everyone with this kind of assignment ratio in this forum. If you have received a posting like this before ├в please do not take offence ├в none is intended!

Proost.

Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.