4574 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Monitoring CPU stats with SNMP & MRTG or openview

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nandhini

Hi Am working with SNMP packets. By Passing this 1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.4.3.1.2.0 OID am able to get the status of the printer. But my problem is

Am broadcasting the SNMP packets over my network. So all the printers will respond. I need to get this status along with the IP address of that printer.

I dont know how to send data packets with more than one variable bindings.

Nandhini

Hi Am working with SNMP packets. By Passing this 1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.4.3.1.2.0 OID am able to get the status of the printer. But my problem is

Am broadcasting the SNMP packets over my network. So all the printers will respond. I need to get this status along with the IP address of that printer.

I dont know how to send data packets with more than one variable bindings.

John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Wayne,

Have you tried using T4 instead? You can find T4 at the OpenVMS web site or at trendsthatmatter.com . Install T4 on your OpenVMS system, then look at the data using TLViz on a PC. It will give you very nice timeline graphs of CPU BUSY, or CPU in various modes, or lost of other things. It will also allow you to correlate CPU with other measurements, which goes a long way to answering "OK, so the CPU's busy, but what's causing it?".
A crucible of informative mistakes
Wayne Gillan
Advisor

John,

Yes we are already using T4 with TLViz as well. But we just wanted something which gave a more general overview of how the system is doing, say compared to 6 months or a year ago. T4 captures every bit of information you could possibly need, but it's not that quick and easy to view. You have to know which day or days you wanted, then get the files across to your pc (we tried samba/cifs for this) and then open the files with TLViz. Compared to MRTG where you can view the graphs imediately from anywhere you have access to a web browser. We'll continue to use T4 however, just in case we need to look at a particular days stats in detail.

Cheers,
Wayne
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Nandhini,

How are you broadcasting your stuff ?
The IP can be found in 1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.4.3.5.2.0

Wim
Wim
Guinaudeau
Frequent Advisor

Steven wrote :

"Regarding the missing entry for CPU 01 (or CPU 03 in my case), I am willing to bet that over time your CPU 01 processor load will graph exactly the same figures as your CPU 00 processor load. ..."

Steven, Greater :

i found and used this thread first to retrieve under under V7.3-2 TCPIP V5.4 platform the hrProcessorLoad OID and i got a reasonable CPU load result (at least under DS10 test machine, cannot say about 2- or 4-CPUs machine and that release).

i estimated and did not measure but it looked like the value was not averaged on the
last minute as RFC1514 indicated, there might be a slight difference somewhere or i did a mistake. nevertheless something reasonable.

now i tried to get the same result with

OpenVMS V8.3 UPDATE V7.0
TCPIP V5.6-9ECO2

first under a DS10 machine :

$ snmp_request localhost "public" get 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.3.3.1.2.1

=> it simply returns ever 0 whatever the CPU load !!!

on a AlphaServer ES45 with 2 CPUs : it behaves like you predicted and/or observed.

questions :

=> did someone already install the brand new TCPIP V5.6 ECO3 and could say about its behaviour with that snmp_request ?

=> did someone observe also such abnormal behaviour with other hr objects ?

=> possibly since TCPIP component LBROKER depends upon CPU load too : did someone observe abnormal metricview results ?
Guinaudeau
Frequent Advisor

John wrote :

"Have you tried using T4 instead?"

Greater wrote :

"Yes we are already using T4 with TLViz as well. But we just wanted something which gave a more general overview of how the system is doing, say compared to 6 months or a year ago. T4 captures every bit
of infos ..."

i agree "yes and no" with Greater that T4 [or TDC or other] collector(s) and bench of tools may not be the right answer at that place.

To be precise :

1)

You can use postprocessors of T4 collection tools to compress / archive the collection, so to observe long term seasonal or yearly
variations :

-> at least CSVPNG is a powerfull tool to get a small CSV (selecting only few params, averaging on a longer sampling period, ...)

"CSVPNG" name may confuse seom people : you will find CSV->PNG generator features, but also a lot of CSV->CSV features in that tool

-> VMS bootcamp attendees may know about other usefull "T4 archivers" ?

2)

I would name CPU load value a "quasi-instant" value = an average on the very recent past (last minute or last seconds in LBROKER metrics).

To retrieve it from T4 collections, you may need to "cut" the collection file to analyse the past and retrieve that value on the
last period of concern => this is not convenient