1751966 Members
4758 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Monitoring disk space

badensfm
Occasional Contributor

Monitoring disk space

Are there any OpenVMS 7.3-2 sites who have automated monitoring disk free space? If so, I would like to hear what others are doing? Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

badensfm.

is perhaps
http://dcl.openvms.org/stories.php?story=04/05/27/8944070
a good base to start?

We are using it, continously displating on an Xwindow, and have added a pager-call if any disk goes critical.
For us, that has proven to be good enough.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

We don't do it, but you could use the threshold settings in Insight Management Agents (WBEM)
Thomas Simpson
Advisor

There are many, I'm sure.

We use the OpenVMS Management Station software (AKA TNT) that's distributed with VMS. It does a good job monitoring disk space and a lot more.

I also have at least 2 home-grown solutions.

Regards,
Tom
Mike Smith_33
Super Advisor

We use a home grown solution (com file) that pages us with diskname, % used etc. . . when a threshold is reached. We also have Unicenter agents on the box that monitor disk space among other things.
David B Sneddon
Honored Contributor

Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

We use CA watchdog to monitor disk space. (once an hour)

We also use Big Brother to monitor and send alerts. The BB client script is an in house command file that sends to the BB server for alerts and charting. The BB tool is our trending tool with the LARRD installed to track 1.5 years of disk usage on nice little charts. (every 5 min collection)

We also have in house command files that run periodically on specific disks that our customers use to monitor their only specific applications disks. These commands don't alert me but alert their application owners so they are aware of the issues too.