108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Most recent browser for V7.3?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Galen Tackett
Valued Contributor

Most recent browser for V7.3?

Is there a version of Secure Web Browser that will run on an Alpha under VMS V7.3? My memory doesn't go back that far, and a few quick Google searches only turned up information on the most recent version or two. (Maybe I didn't have the right Google incantation?)

Failing that, I will try Netscape. This old box currently is V3.3, but if I recall there was at least V4.xfor VMS.
8 REPLIES 8
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Most recent browser for V7.3?

There was a port of Mozilla V1.7 (July 2004) from HP engeneering, that was contributed to the mozilla people. I looked in the description file and it seems to run since VMS V7.2-2 and above.

See:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/mozilla1.7/contrib/mozilla-openvms-alpha-m170.sfx_axpexe

regards Kalle
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

have you tried the latest V1.7-8 kit?

Ian,

If you mean Secure Web Browser V1.7-8 I think the latest is actually 1.7-11, for the release notes say that 7.3-2 or higher is required so I hadn't tried it out. But I certainly could.

On the other hand if you mean straight Mozilla, I haven't tried any version of it yet.

Thanks,

Galen
Galen Tackett
Valued Contributor

Yesterday I tried repeatedly to download from the link Karl provided, resorting to a couple of mirror sites when mozilla.org started timing out just getting a directory listing through ftp. The mirror sites, both located here in Virginia, timed out a few times (this time after beginning transfer) before I finally got a complete download.

Unfortunately the resulting .sfx_axpexe file appears to be corrupt (YES, I transferred it in IMAGE mode...) as I get this error when I try to run it:

End-of-central-directory signature not found.

The MD5 checksum on the FTP site isn't useful here (we lack the MD5 bits) but CHECKSUM/IMAGE gave me the following at the bottom of its output:

checksum of all image sections is %X"0B5444C3"

If one of you has the time, maybe you could download this straight from mozilla.org yourself and see if you get the same.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I have mozilla 1.5 on 7.3.

But is doesn't show pages as IE does. All kind of things are wrong (and I even haven't tested it on the internet).

And it is very slow.

And don't use it with "set display" to transport it to another node. When I used it to monitor a sanswitch (SNMP), I got an alarm that 1 GB was transferred over the network in 15 minutes.

But as a failover for IE it can do. Just in case that the PC's don't survive a disaster ...

Wim
Wim
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I used a vms system with ucx v5.4 eco 5 and downloaded the V1.7 kit referenced. I ran it and it successfully unpacked.

$ checksum/image MOZILLA-OPENVMS-ALPHA-M170.SFX_AXPEXE
file SYS$SYSDEVICE:[MRSYS.MILLERI]MOZILLA-OPENVMS-ALPHA-M170.SFX_AXPEXE;1
image section %D'1' checksum is %X'648E1278'
image section %D'2' checksum is %X'000D3877'
image section %D'3' checksum is %X'3EC804EA'
image section %D'5' checksum is %X'511F6A26'
image header checksum is %X'00000019'
checksum of all image sections is %X'0B5444C3'

Ian,

> $ checksum/image MOZILLA-OPENVMS-ALPHA-M170.SFX_AXPEXE
> fil
e SYS$SYSDEVICE:[MRSYS.MILLERI]MOZILLA-OPENVMS-ALPHA-M170.SFX_AX
PEXE;1
>checksum of all image sections is %X'0B5444C3'

Now that seems kinda freaky. Your checksum matches mine, but mine won't run. (I did check the record attributes.) What do you get without the /IMAGE?

I have to admit that a third system was involved in getting this file. Since our VMS systems aren't on the internet, and our office PCs don't have writable media (or net access to VMS) I had to use my Mac at home which runs OS X 10.3.9.

Thanks for your help.

Galen
Galen Tackett
Valued Contributor

I'm going to give Mozilla V1.7 a try...