1754020 Members
7104 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Motif debugger and KDE on cygwin

SOLVED
Go to solution

Motif debugger and KDE on cygwin

I am using KDE 3.1.4 running under cygwin/xfree86.

X windows "client" applications that I start from VMS generally work except for the XWindows Motif debugger.

If I type "debug/keep" (or run a program linked with /debug) from a DECterm window then the DCL session hangs until I press and "STOP". A Debug window is never created. Of course, I can work around this by define'ing DBG$DECW$DISPLAY as " " to get the command line debugger but I would sometimes like to be able to use the XWindows debugger in this environment.

I have successfully started the VMS debugger from older versions of KDE on cygwin/xfree86 or from other window managers. I have even done this from KDE 3.1.4 on knoppix (a version of Linux that boots from CD).

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I have asked on comp.os.vms as well as some other forums without any success.
20 REPLIES 20
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

Re: Motif debugger and KDE on cygwin

What are the process states of the processes involved? This could be a lot of things, but running out of one quota or another on the VMS side is one possibility.

Good question.

28-SEP-2004 20:17:47.09 User: ppppppp Process ID: 20201B45
Node: xxxx Process name: "_FTA2:"

Process Quotas:
Account name: DEV
CPU limit: Infinite Direct I/O limit: 1024
Buffered I/O byte count quota: 298336 Buffered I/O limit: 1024
Timer queue entry quota: 255 Open file quota: 1022
Paging file quota: 582704 Subprocess quota: 30
Default page fault cluster: 64 AST quota: 1018
Enqueue quota: 5000 Shared file limit: 0
Max detached processes: 0 Max active jobs: 0

Soft CPU Affinity: off

No subprocess exists in the job.

Something else I forgot to mention is that it always seems to allocate a BG device.

Here's what it looks like (masking out the ip addrs):

$ tcpip show device BG5745:/full
Device_socket: bg5745 Type: STREAM
LOCAL REMOTE
Port: 49345 6000
Host: xx.xx.xx.xx xx.xx.xx.xx
Service:

RECEIVE SEND
Queued I/O 0 0
Q0LEN 0 Socket buffer bytes 0 0
QLEN 0 Socket buffer quota 61440 61440
QLIMIT 0 Total buffer alloc 0 0
TIMEO 0 Total buffer limit 491520 491520
ERROR 0 Buffer or I/O waits 1 0
OOBMARK 0 Buffer or I/O drops 0 0
I/O completed 156 127
Bytes transferred 38724 34656

Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If a BG device is allocated, this means that a socket was open to yours XWindows server (cygwin/xfree86).
Have a check of yours KDE settings (xhost etc...).

Bojan

xhost was wide open ("xhost +") but I tried explicitly adding the VMS node via "xhost +vmsnode" to no avail.

Also, I verified that the socket exists on the PC side by running netstat.

What other kde settings should I look at? Since every other X windows application that I know of works I really don't have a clue.
Edwin Gersbach_2
Valued Contributor

Bruce,

First, you may use "$ SET WATCH FILE /CLASS=MAJOR" before the DEBUG/KEEP. Just before the debugger window opens, I see a series of lookups of _XMTEXT_ADDMODE_18_1.DIR/EXE/DAT and finaly a access to PTHREAD$RTL.EXE. If you also get that far (what I expect due to the absence of a error message) it would mean that the debugger actually opens the window - it is just not visible. Check if there is a DBG$DECW$DISPLAY logical pointing to nirwana.

Other than that I could only think of some IP tracing to get more information.

Edwin

P.S.
use "$ SET WATCH FILE /CLASS=NONE" to turn file watching off.
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Bruce,

Check also if you have a DBG$INIT logical name. This logical name points to the initialisation procedure for the debugger. Maybe there is something strange.
But if the debugger forks on other Xservers, I think that the problem is in KDE 3.1.4/cygwin/xfree86 settings.
I dont know cygwin because I use a "clean" Linux. There is a file named .xsession-errors, if such a file (or an equivalent) exists in cygwin try to examin it.

Bojan

> If you also get that far (what I expect
> due to the absence of a error message) it
> would mean that the debugger actually
> opens the window - it is just not visible.

This is in fact the case. I.e., the window is being created, it is just not visible. I noticed that an outline of the window is created in the KDE vitual desktop icon located on the KDE task bar at the bottom of the screen. After I stop the debugger the outline disappeared. At that point I decided to ask in the help forum on the kde-cygwin project on sourceforge but I haven't gotten any replies.

So, I am still at a loss as to what is wrong here. I appreciate the help I've gotten here.

Still working on it...
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Bruce,

Try to find where the window is. For this you can use the xwininfo utility.

On my linux I can do:

xwininfo -root -tree

which prints out a tree of all windows. Find the debbuger window and its id. Then do a:

xwininfo -all -id WINDOWID

this will display all the characteristics of the debugger window. Examine this output (you can post the output).

Now I am far away from a VMS system, so I cant see if the syntax on VMS is similar to Linux, but I think it is. The program is located in SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSHLP.EXAMPLES.DECW.UTILS]XWININFO.EXE
there is also a command procedure which define the symbols.
Probably the same utility exists also in cygwin.

Bojan