4069 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mount 2nd hard drive on startup

Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Mirza,

As has been noted, the lack of the "/" in the "/SYSTEM" would cause the disk to be dismounted when the startup process logged out.

The follow on comment that the command is not executed is straightforward to address. Either turn on the startup logging (the easiest method is using the STARTUP SET OPTIONS/OUTPUT=FILE command in SYSMAN to route the output of the STARTUP process to a file (see the HELP text within SYSMAN for details) [this setting can also be done manually using SYSGEN, but the interface in SYSMAN is more user-friendly].

The most common cause is a typographical error elsewhere in the SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM that is causing the file to be aborted prematurely. The resulting error message is often missed as it flies by on the console.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Mirza Rizwan Ahmed
Occasional Advisor

As I checked there is /System parameter in mount command.
After adding "Set Verify" in Systartup_vms.com file I restarted & checked startup.log & found that "$ Enable Autostart /Queues" command failing with following message "%Jbc-E-jobquedies, System job queue manager is not running". All the rest commands including Mount after this faild command aborted.
How Can I fix this Queue manager command?

Dear Wim
All these post i am sending through Windows Pc how can I take Log & Systartup_vms.com files on floppy (Fat format) from Alpha machine for attachment?

Regards,
Rizwan Ahmed
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> "$ Enable Autostart /Queues" command
> failing with following message
> "%Jbc-E-jobquedies, System job queue
> manager is not running".

Many things are possible, but one reason for
this to happen would be that the queue
manager data base is on some disk which has
not been mounted by the time when this
command is executed.

HELP START /QUEUE /MANAGER Parameter
says that the default data base location is
SYS$COMMON:[SYSEXE], but the logical name
QMAN$MASTER can put it anywhere. Around
here, for example, it's:

alp $ show logical QMAN$MASTER
"QMAN$MASTER" = "ALP$DKA0:[QMAN]" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)

alp $ dire /size /date /prot QMAN$MASTER

Directory SYS$SYSDEVICE:[QMAN]

QMAN$MASTER.DAT;2 45 25-DEC-1996 23:01:14.42 (RWED,RWED,RE,)
SYS$QUEUE_MANAGER.QMAN$JOURNAL;1
2 13-APR-2008 00:14:23.50 (RWED,RWED,RE,)
SYS$QUEUE_MANAGER.QMAN$QUEUES;1
51 25-DEC-1996 23:01:16.92 (RWED,RWED,RE,)

Total of 3 files, 98 blocks.

The SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM I use in my cluster
tries "ENABLE AUTOSTART /QUEUES" once before
the remote disks are mounted (which works on
ALP, where it's on the system disk), and once
after the remote disks are mounted (which
works on the other systems, where ALP$DKA0 is
not the system disk, so it must be mounted
explicitly).

QMAN$MASTER is normally defined in
SYS$MANAGER:SYLOGICALS.COM. You may not have
a cluster environment like mine, but it would
be good to see if QMAN$MASTER is defined to
point to some disk other than the system
disk.

You might also try
START /QUEUE /MANAGER
to see if that says anything interesting.

> All the rest
> commands including Mount after this faild
> command aborted.

What does this mean? Did the whole procedure
abort, or do you just have a lot of SUBMIT
commands which didn't work, or what? An
actual transcript would be more useful than a
vague description.
Mirza Rizwan Ahmed
Occasional Advisor

Dear Steven,
All these post i am sending through Windows Pc. how can I take actual startup.Log & Systartup_vms.com files on floppy (Fat format) from Alpha machine for attachment?

Regards,
Rizwan Ahmed
Hoff
Honored Contributor

You could install and use Mozilla (CSWB is the name of the download from the HP web site) on the OpenVMS box? Log your information and access ITRC from there. This assumes the OpenVMS box can access the Internet.

Alternatively, zip the pieces, and place them at an FTP download site somewhere. It is possible to transfer files through Windows, though it requires some care around the file formats.

Do consider a call for formal assistance for operating OpenVMS here, too. If file transfers between OpenVMS and Windows are unfamiliar and are stymieing progress, it would be more expedient to either get formal help, or to acquire training in this area.

This all without intending offense. We each have our own unique areas of expertise, and vast areas beyond our expertise. OpenVMS and Windows networking is a comparatively arcane area.

Since you're probably not going to call in help, the basics are as follows.

I'll assume IP is configured on OpenVMS, and that the OpenVMS box has Internet access.

Get to your login directory. Show your login device and directory -- you'll need this later -- as subsequent commands assume this:

SET DEFAULT SYS$LOGIN:
SHOW LOGICAL SYS$LOGIN

Get zip from the Freeware distro. Copies of the Freeware are shipped with OpenVMS, and Freeware V8 has the most current bits. If you don't have an OpenVMS distro, look here: http://mvb.saic.com/freeware/freewarev80/
The core tools are in 000TOOLS directory. Fetch the contents of the 000TOOLS area and the Alpha subdirectory, for this case.

You can use FTP on OpenVMS to download these from ftp://mvb.saic.com/freewarev80.

The rough sequence (on OpenVMS) is as follows:

ftp mvb.saic.com
anonymous
email
bin
cd [.freewarev80]
get filename
get otherfilename
^Z

I'd usually suggest using the DCL command COPY /FTP here, but the OpenVMS version here may or may not have that capability. (In computing years, OpenVMS Alpha V6.2-1H3 is ancient.) Your OpenVMS does, but your IP stack may or may not; OpenVMS V6.2 and its associated IP stacks do have COPY/FTP. Older OpenVMS and older IP stacks do not.

Create a subdirectory under your login area. CREATE/DIRECTORY [.ITRC]

COPY the files of interest into this subdirectory. COPY SYS$STARTUP:SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM [.ITRC]
Whatever other files.

Set up the zip symbol:
zip :== $ddcu:[login.ITRC]zip.exe
The "ddcu:[login" comes from your login device and login directory.

Invoke Zip:
zip "-V" sys$login:itrc.zip [.ITRC]*.*

Switch boxes. From the Microsoft Windows Command prompt, transfer the zip archive to the Windows box.

ftp openvms.ip.host.spec
username
password
bin
get itrc.zip

You now have the ITRC zip in your local directory.

You can now clean up, if desired. Delete the [.ITRC] files and the SYS$LOGIN:ITRC.DIR subdirectory on OpenVMS.

Have at on Windows. Post to ITRC, or (better) transfer the zip somewhere where it can be downloaded from remote sites. To a company FTP server or site. If you do choose to unpack the zip on Windows and try to read OpenVMS files, do not use Notepad tool to read them. Use Wordpad. Do recognize that .COM is an executable on Windows, and you can need to rename the .COM files to .TXT files. Then use Wordpad.

(As a general note, I'd suggest not posting the Microsoft Office and Microsoft proprietary formats as ITRC OpenVMS forum attachments. Some of us non-Windows users can read most of them, and some can't. I'd stick to what Windows calls "MS-DOS text files" or some such, or to the OpenVMS native formats.)

And again, do consider getting yourself either some formal help here, or some training in OpenVMS, or somebody you can escalate these questions to. (No offense is intended. We all have our areas of experience and knowledge. But a broken MOUNT command is trivial to resolve. Maybe two to five minutes of my or any other experienced OpenVMS folks' time, in most of the cases I've seen over the years), and this thread has been going for most of a week.

It's taken me (far) longer to describe how to perform this sequence than it would have taken for me to log into the host and examine and to fix the MOUNT problem. There are a collection of other issues here, such as the antiquity of this AlphaServer 2000 and its components; this is old gear. Old systems and old disks do fail. There are other reasons to formally review this system and this environment, too.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC
Khairy
Esteemed Contributor

hi mirza,

if you could telnet to alphaserver2000, its even better. Turn on logging feature in your telnet client program (putty/teraterm) in your PC and send us the logs.

Run the following command to have all the contents of systartup_vms.com capture to your telnet log files.
$ type systartup_vms.com

Rgds
Neelmani Pandey
Frequent Advisor

Hi Mirza,

You can create a new single line startup_vms.com including a single mount command and try to execute it manually .
Check the disk could be mounted using this procedure.