1753971 Members
7975 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Mounting remote share on OpenVMS 8.3

James T Horn
Frequent Advisor

Mounting remote share on OpenVMS 8.3

I am wondering what the best way to mount a share on either a Windows or Linux system.
I have an application on OpenVMS 8.3 (TcpIP 5.6) and want to mount a share that either on a windows server or linux server. Any suggestions?
6 REPLIES 6
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Re: Mounting remote share on OpenVMS 8.3

You have several options. You can use NFS on the VMS system. Linux has support included, while the Microsoft Windows system will need a third party product to mount an NFS share.

Samba is available for Alphaserver or Integrity with your version of VMS. http://h71000.www7.hp.com/network/CIFS_for_Samba.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Pathworks/Advanced Server will also allow an Alphaserver to create shares emulating a Microsoft share. You'll need licensing for this option, later Alphaservers generally included enough for several clients. http://h71000.www7.hp.com/pathworks/advancedserver.html

As always, best depends on your requirements.

Welcome to the VMS forum,

Andy Bustamante

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

The latest release of CIFS (Samba for VMS) offers a facility to access a Windows share. provided you have Samba running on Linix, it might well be possible to access a share on Linux as well.

If your Linux box conatins a running NFS server, enable the NFS client on VMS and you should be able to access the NFS-environment on Linux.
I don't know if there is a NFS server implementation on Windows - but if so and installed on your Windows box, the NFS client on VMS couls access that environment as well.
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

James,

It depends on whether your preference is to use NFS or SAMBA/CIFS. My recommendation would depend on what else is in use at your site. Adding a new technology for no specific gain is not normally a good recommendation.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

James T Horn
Frequent Advisor

Ok, so I have CIFS installed, how do I mount a device on NELL that will be linked to the share?
I know on NFS you can mount, but have not found anything using Samba to mount the share.
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

"I know on NFS you can mount, but have not found anything using Samba to mount the share."

No, because there isn't anything. NFS would be the usual way to go, if you have to mount that way round.
Paul Nunez
Respected Contributor

With CIFS, use the smbclient utility.

I.e., if the Linux box is LSRV and there's a share named ASHR and you want to connect as user JDOE:

$ smbclient \\lsrv\ashr --user jdoe
Password:

Or if the Windows server is wsrv and the sharename is ashr and you want to connect as user jdoe in domain wdmn:

$ smbclient \\wsrv\ashr --user wdmn\jdoe

The interface is akin to FTP.

Regards,

Paul