108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Move files with a queue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Richard Wingate
Advisor

Move files with a queue

Does anyone know if it is possible to set up a queue that would copy files to a remote location (disk) rather than send them to a printer? If it is possible, are there any examples out there to look at?
10 REPLIES 10
Jim_McKinney
Honored Contributor
Solution

You could either create a custom print symbiont (MAILSYM might be a good example) or perhaps use John Osudar's EXECSYMB. Each can be found at http://vms.process.com/ftp/vms-freeware/fileserv/ .
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

On Dsn its (now dead) there was a command procedure doing decnet copy from one node to another using a batch queue, with submit/remote. The same procedure was acting as server on a side, as client on another side. I have been unable to find it on askq.compaq.com :-(

may be I have it somewhere, I will dig in my archives.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

If you don't like installing extra stuff :

Create a stopped queue. Let them print stuff and use a (permanently running) dcl procedure to extract the file name of the file to be printed and copy it to the remote node. Then delete the entry.

Should be possible in about 20 lines of dcl.

Wim
Wim
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Whats the purpose behind the queueing?

If all you want is to move files from one node to another when they are "ready" then why not create a holding directory and use a DCL procedure that runs on the system as a detached process to look at the holding directory and copy the files then delete them from the holding dorectory.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

or (more wild speculation :-) you can use FTSV/FTSO to delay the sending.

we use DQS (DEC Distributed Queuing Service for OpenVMS AXP) for this.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Here is something you can use directly.

Wim
Wim
Verne Britton
Regular Advisor

I too read about EXECSYMB but have never actually tried it (does sound very good).

I had a need to capture text output originally sent to a printer, and modified a program in C from someone else to do this (within the Multinet TCP/IP stack). We needed to capture LPD output from a remote system rather than just printing it locally.

My version is called DRAIN and is on the v7 Freeware distribution and also at http://vaxa.wvnet.edu/vmswww/drain.html

Verne