Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - OpenVMS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move result of select count(*) to a variable of DCl

cachaza
Occasional Contributor

Move result of select count(*) to a variable of DCl

Hi. Everyone.

i have this Dcl

$ set ver
$ Ws := "Write Sys$output"
$ Com_Totreg == 5
$ sql
  DECLARE :Sql_Totreg INTEGER;
  atta 'f bdcesantia';
  set tran read o;
  select Count(*) into :Sql_Totreg from ctabcuo;
  PRINT :Sql_Totreg ;
  EXIT;
$
$ Ws "Registros Leidos(Com):''Com_Totreg'"
$ Ws "Registros Leidos(Sql):''Sql_Totreg'"
$ EXIT

....the question is : how can "rescue" the result of select count(*) to a variable of Dcl.......i need somethin like this :

"Com_Totreg==Sql_Totreg"

Thanks very much.

2 REPLIES
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Re: Move result of select count(*) to a variable of DCl

I don't think there is a provisioned method.

Typically you would redirect the SQL output into a file or pipe, and parse the output.

You may want to check out  the RDB facilty to call external function such as LIB$SET_SYMBOL or LIB$SET_LOGICAL

See : http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/rdb/external-routines-090694.html

hth,

Hein

H.Becker
Honored Contributor

Re: Move result of select count(*) to a variable of DCl

The best you can do is to define a job logical name (assumed you have SQL$DATABASE pointing to your database), like:

$ pipe ( write sys$output "set display no row counter" ; write sys$output "select '$ def/job Sql_Totreg ',Count(*) from ctabcuo;" )  | mc sql$ | @sys$pipe

$ Sql_Totreg = f$log("Sql_Totreg")

Sure enough, you can use a DCL script instead of the two write statements in parentheses.